Any chance of MBP refresh before October?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by johndoe73, Jun 1, 2011.

  1. johndoe73 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 1, 2011
    #1
    Hi,

    I plan on buying a MBP in the United States as they are way cheaper compared to here in Europe. I'll be in the US end of June and 2-6 October. Is there a real chance of a MBP refresh before October? If so, I'll just pick one up in Octoer. If there's no chance of a refresh I might just as well buy one this time around.

    Thanks
     
  2. steelmarco macrumors newbie

    steelmarco

    Joined:
    Apr 23, 2011
    #3
    To me, they will be refreshed in late October/November.
     
  3. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2009
    #4
    With what? No major processors will be released until the end of the year (ivy bridge). If there was an update, it would be very incremental.
     
  4. wikus macrumors 68000

    wikus

    Joined:
    Jun 1, 2011
    Location:
    Planet earth.
    #5
    Ivy Bridge is coming out next year between march-april. Thats a long wait.
     
  5. alust2013 macrumors 601

    alust2013

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2010
    Location:
    On the fence
    #6
    It is, but if there's nothing new to put in it, then there won't be an update, especially if the next one will be a redesign.
     
  6. Kentochan macrumors 6502

    Kentochan

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2011
    Location:
    Virginia, USA
    #7
    I don't think Apple would update the MacBook Pros again this year. With the number of upgrades from last year's models, it just seems unlikely.
     
  7. Apple Expert macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jan 31, 2010
    #8
    Doubt it. As someone state Ivy Bridge won't be released till next year. Safe bet that the MBP is here for 2011. Next year it could be redesigned with new chips.
     
  8. wikus macrumors 68000

    wikus

    Joined:
    Jun 1, 2011
    Location:
    Planet earth.
    #9
    Best option would be to buy now if you really need it (back to school sale with discount and free ipod) and sell it next year if you REALLY need the ivy bridge processors (macbooks retain their value fairly well anyway). But, from the leaked roadmap and specs, ivy bridge will only give 20% performance boost. It wont be as noticeable as the sandy bridge update.

    I've been thinking about waiting as well, but a years time is too long.
     
  9. Apple Expert macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jan 31, 2010
    #10
    I agree with this post. Enjoy the MBP now and worry about the other things later in life.
     
  10. snaky69 macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2008
    #12
    Perhaps. Only Apple knows, why are you asking us?
     
  11. alust2013 macrumors 601

    alust2013

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2010
    Location:
    On the fence
    #13
    OP is just asking a harmless question to get an idea of whether to buy or not. No, no one here knows for sure, but based on hardware release dates and trends in the past, we have a pretty good idea.
     
  12. snaky69 macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2008
    #14
    There could be hiccups just like that whole sandy bridge SATA port whateveritwas that throws our predictions off. There are just so many variables to take into account, I think trying to predict when the next MBP's are going to come out is roughly twice as hard as predicting what the weather'll be like in a week. Didn't mean to come off as flippant or anything, it's just that I don't think we have nearly enough info to even guesstimate something at this point.
     
  13. alust2013 macrumors 601

    alust2013

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2010
    Location:
    On the fence
    #15
    Truth, but it's easier to make a general consensus of no. If it was in the range of when the update was expected, it would be a lot harder to predict, but before October is way early.
     
  14. johndoe73 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 1, 2011
    #16
    I understand it's virtually impossible to make a reliable prediction. I was just hoping we could get an educated guess. Seems most agree that a refresh before October is unlikely. To be fair, this is also what I though myself.

    As others have noted even if we would get a refresh it would probably not be anything big. The last sandy bridge upgrade was reasonably big for a refresh and a full redesign is likely for early 2012. If I would wait until October than I would be tempted to wait for the redesign...

    Guess it's probably best to get one during my trip this month. That way I can at least enjoy my new MBP over the summer ;-)
     
  15. NiCk- macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 11, 2007
    #17
    My 2006 Core Duo MBP has really started to show its age .. The speed of the Sandy-Bridge processors was tempting me at first, but I've finally decided that I will wait for that new design and Ivy-Bridge .. March 2012 ?? So be it ! :cool:
     
  16. snaky69 macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2008
    #18
    Agreed.
     

Share This Page