Any chance of touch screen in future MBPs?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pmbooks, Apr 11, 2010.

1. pmbooks macrumors regular

pmbooks

2. Pachang macrumors regular

3. kasakka macrumors 68000

No. MacOSX is not made for touchscreen use. Apple wouldn't be stupid and just replace the cursor with your finger. It doesn't work well.

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

5. Hmac macrumors 68020

If the iPad is successful as an interface in its current relatively limited role, I could envision Apple moving the ball down the field and bringing out an actual tablet running OSX with a touch interface at some point in the future.

Yes, there are already such Windows devices out there for that, but touch interface has been a major thrust for Apple over these last few years, and I have the impression that someday they'll have it functional enough to make it work far better as an actual computer than the largely failed niche devices from Fujitsu etc.

6. Relznuk macrumors 6502

Relznuk

There have been alot of threads on this. Please search before posting...

7. jaforres macrumors member

Tell me about it. I do not cope with the finger print smudges well. Ruins my day.

8. wheelhot macrumors 68020

The current lineup of Apple MBPs are pretty solid (physically) and having a rotational touch display (ala HP and some other notebook makers of touch screen display) will ruin it and unless Apple found another solution then a rotational display, I don't think so.

Also, I don't see the point of having to lift up your hand just to touch the display when you can do perfectly fine (not to mention faster) with the keyboard and mouse :rolleyes:

The iPad fits just that and although it's not a full fledge OS, people need to remember that this is a new market and introducing too many new stuffs could end up hurting the notebook sales instead which I am pretty sure many companies do not want.

Oh and regarding the OS + Touch thingy, someone mentioned over MR before that OSX wasn't design for touch interface so I don't think we will ever see and OSX with touch interface unless they do some kind of additional layer stuffs like Apple Front Row.

9. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

10. Stetrain macrumors 68040

I believe that any new touchscreen products from Apple will come up from the iPhone/iPad line, rather than from the desktop Mac OS side.

11. King Apple macrumors regular

King Apple