Any chance OSXI is the next OS update ?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bo-waleed, Jan 14, 2015.

1. bo-waleed macrumors 6502

I am still using Snow Leopard and i like it.

I tried yosemite but it was ok, It runs laggy on my MBP so i switched back to SL.

I am waiting for OSXI to buy a new mac.

2. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

I don't think it'll be called OS XI. OS X is the name and they're intent on sticking to it (if they wanted to change the name they would have done it with Yosemite, which is the 11th major update of OS X).

As for what the next update will bring, anything at this point is purely speculation. It would be nice if they'd do another Snow Leopard-like release and refine that with bug fixes and performance improvements to make it stable and efficient. Just after a major redesign is perfect timing for that as well.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Not necessarily. OS X is the tenth major revision to the Mac OS, and there is no reason to believe there couldn't be an 11th major revision. What Apple may choose to call such a product is anybody's guess. Yosemite is simply the 11th version of OS X, and doesn't preclude the possibility of an 11th major revision to the Mac OS.

History of Mac OS

Whether the next update will be OS X 10.11 or OS XI is anyone's guess.

4. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

OS X isn't considered an update to Mac OS anymore, hence the dropping of "Mac" from Mac OS X in Mountain Lion.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The line drawn between the versions is the introduction of a UNIX-based OS. In the same way there were multiple major revisions to the Classic Mac OS, there can also be major revisions in the UNIX-based OS. The naming convention can be changed at any time. Apple could call the next revision Apple OS and blend OS X and iOS to create it. There is nothing that would prevent any future release from being OS X 10.11 or OS XI or Apple OS or anything else. Apple can do what they want, including eliminating number designations from OS releases.

6. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Talk of a hybrid always makes me laugh. You seriously think it's possible to combine a stripped-down touchscreen OS with a fully functional desktop OS designed for keyboard and mouse and completely different hardware? You ever heard of the fail that is Windows 8?

As I said, if Apple wanted to rename OS X they had the perfect opportunity to do it with Yosemite. They clearly don't want to because OS X it is a globally recognized name that carries a reputation with it.

7. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Yes, but that was Windows. I'm sure the Apple version would "just work". :D

8. technosix macrumors 6502a

Never underestimate what's possible. Especially if it's in a field you're not highly skilled in. Apple has a Kings ransom to work with.

9. chown33 macrumors 604

Virtually none.

Many people thought the same thing about Yosemite, that it would be OSXI. It wasn't. You can even go back and read the threads here at the time. All that sound and fury signifying nothing.

If you want to place a bet, bet on the next major iteration not being OSXI.

That might be a while.

Do you have any particular reason, or is it just a Nigel Tufnel type of thing?

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I said Apple could do that and blend OS X and iOS. I made no guess or assumption as to what particular features of each would be used. The point is Apple could take a completely new direction with the OS and yes, they could call it OS XI if they wanted to.
    Completely irrelevant to the current discussion.
    Except for the fact that Yosemite wasn't a major revision and isn't enough of a departure from Mavericks to warrant a change from OS X. It's a minor update.
    The globally recognized name that carries the reputation is Apple, not OS X. They could easily release a new OS with a different name that would be globally accepted, just like they did with iOS.

11. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

You may have a point here. After all, Apple could go out of business tomorrow, which is about as likely as seeing them release a hybrid OS anytime soon.

Yosemite is the biggest OS X GUI refresh to date since the original OS X. It is also the 11th major update of OS X. Apple could not have picked a better time to change the name.

Why hasn't Apple renamed iPhone to Apple Phone? The fact that everyone knows it and refers to it as "iPhone" doesn't mean anything, as long as the brand is still the same...

12. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I hope you are going to be happy with your current computer for the next 15 to 20 years and possibly longer then then. The only reason apple will change the OS X branding is if they move to something other than a UNIX core, and there is no chance of that happening anytime in the foreseeable future, there is no reason to rewrite everything from scratch, and there isn't anything else better already out there to switch to.

I'd say the odds of there being an OS XI anytime soon are about the same as Apple switching to Windows as the default OS, or even dropping computers all together.

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You're the one talking about a hybrid OS. I didn't say anything about a hybrid. You can blend elements of iOS and OS X without the result being a hybrid. They've already done that with many features that both platforms now share. The point is, Apple could release a major revision to the Mac operating system at any time and choose to call it OS XI or AOS or anything they choose. There is nothing preventing them from changing the name.
    According to whom? There were much more dramatic differences between earlier releases than there are between Mavericks and Yosemite.
    That's exactly what people were saying with Mavericks... and Mountain Lion... and....
    Because there is no need to rename it. The fundamentals of the iPhone remain. Only new bells and whistles have been added, but it's still the same product, just like Yosemite is merely a newer version of OS X.
    Exactly my point. As long as the brand is still Apple, the product name can change, so there's no need to cling to the OS X name if a major revision is released that warrants a name change.

14. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

They've already been doing this for some time now, in fact by that logic OS X is already a hybrid.

Not in terms of the overall look and feel of the OS. I use both Tiger and Leopard on my PPC Macs (the biggest OS X GUI change previously happened in Leopard) and the difference is not as glaring.

Which proves my point, they don't intend to change the name anytime soon.

Which proves my point, they don't intend to change the fundamental design and operation of their products or operating systems anytime soon.

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Like everyone else, you have no idea what Apple intends to do or not do. You are only making assumptions based on your limited observations. Apple is not limited to your assumptions and they have a reputation for making innovative changes in their products when the time is right. Only Apple knows for certain what its intentions are for future product releases. Everything else is just talk.

16. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Hence the disclaimer I placed in my original comment:

So you may regard my points about the future update a likely outcome based on evidence, but they are by no means fact.

17. skaeroastro macrumors newbie

skaeroastro

Or it might be something like OS X 11.0. Would Apple really change their OS logo from "X" to "XI"? It would look inelegant in terms of Apple's obsession with simplicity.

edit: And yes, I understand that "X" means 10.

18. bo-waleed thread starter macrumors 6502

Lolz, it's fine.

My main computer currently is a Win8 PC and i will only use this MBP when traveling for light internet and watching videos.

19. SlCKB0Y macrumors 68040

SlCKB0Y

According to common sense and the obvious. There has simply not been as large a design shift in the UI between point releases as there was between 10.9 and 10.10. Are you actually disputing this?

Why don't you let us know which other point release brought about a bigger difference in UI?

----------

It is also used to signify the relationship with UNIX.

----------

No, it was being speculated to a much greater extent with 10.10 because many people failed to understand that software versions do not have to follow decimal conventions. :rolleyes:

20. brendu macrumors 68020

Did you see windows 10 preview today? They seem to have learn from their mistakes. It looks like they might have finally put together a system that can run on phones tablets PCs and Xbox all using one core operating system.

21. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

Extremely unlikely. The ProductName of OS X is, intentionally, Mac OS X.

22. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Just like the product name used to be Mac OS 9, Mac OS 8, Mac OS 7, etc. There's no reason why a future major release couldn't be called Mac OS XI or Mac OS 11.

23. grahamperrin, Jan 22, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2015

grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

Yosemite now, Mac OS XI next? No, that's extremely unlikely.

I doubt that the successor to Yosemite will be called either of those things.

An explanation

ProductVersion 10.10 (including the initial release of OS X Yosemite) was described by Apple as completely new. The ProductName for that completely new thing – Yosemite – was no different from the ProductName for Mavericks:

Mac OS X​

It's extremely unlikely that the successor to Yosemite will have a ProductName that differs. (I do not expect the successor to be 'more than completely' new in a way that makes Yosemite more than completely old.)

For conditional expressions that expect to find "Mac OS X" when the system is programatically queried, a change to ProductName might unnecessarily and artificially break compatibility.

As I expect the ProductName to be
    Mac OS X, so I can not imagine Apple using the phrase
    Mac OS XI for the same thing.

sw_vers(1) Mac OS X Manual Page

Related

Read the Mac OS X edition and version from property lists | Jaharmi’s Irreality (2007-05-11)

– and an example of output from Lion Server.

Shell Building Blocks (PDF) from the 2014 MacAdmins Conference at Penn State

Postscript

An earlier discussion: The Next OS X will not be OS X. "It'll be OS 11. …"