Any Chance Shake Will Make a Comeback?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by pimentoLoaf, Jul 9, 2012.

1. pimentoLoaf macrumors 68000

pimentoLoaf

For those who don't know what Shake was, click here and read the manual.

At least update the thing with a patch or two for the new FCP-X. Or maybe integrate the whole thing inside FCP.

2. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

Definitely not. Apple is no longer interested in the pro market. Smoke's pretty good though!

3. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Not a chance. Just as they did when they acquired Final Touch (and renamed it to "Color"), they practically put it on fire sale for a few years and dropped it like a redheaded stepchild when it no longer served their purposes. And clearly, Apple's purpose is now selling iToys to hip consumers.

My belief (take it for what it's worth) is that Apple were in over their heads when they acquired these highly specialized tools (Shake from Nothing Real) and were never interested in spending the resources to develop them much further. Hence, we got two applications that were merely modified to inter-operate (and somewhat poorly) with other Apple Pro Apps. These acquisitions were merely ways for Apple to trump competitors (namely Avid) on features-per-dollar back when they still cared.

I never used Shake too much, but I used Color extensively back when it was the best game in town for the money. I still use Color a fair bit, but it's quickly losing its charm, considering DaVinci Resolve Lite has a more powerful toolset, better interface and far superior conforming and media management...for FREE.