Any chance that the 13 MBP get a matte soon?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mgnayim, Aug 22, 2009.

1. mgnayim macrumors newbie

I am planning to get a MBP the next month.. and i wonder if there any chance that the 13 MBP get a matte screen?

since the 13 is the most portable MBP... it has to be the first one to get a matte screen!!!!!

2. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

Since it is least used professionally, it should be the LAST to get a matte screen.

3. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

your logic doesnt really make sense. just cause its portable doesnt mean that it should have a matte screen. but the logic that does make sense is that the 17 and 15" have the option have it why doesnt the 13". but logic generally is lost when dealing with apple sometimes. dont sweat it tho, im sure you will see it soon.

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

No Intel 13" Apple notebook has ever had a matte screen.

Just saying.

5. DAMNiatx macrumors 6502a

DAMNiatx

wow, Tallest Skil said that, its mean this thing will happen. just wait.:p

6. pesc macrumors regular

A glossy screen makes more sense where you can control the lighting, like in an office. And less sense outdoors, on a train, at a café, etc, where a 13" is more likely to be used because it is more portable.

For me, the point of having a laptop is to be portable. I use mine 2-6 hours daily moving about where I can't control he lighting. I absolutely don't want a glossy screen here. I also use my laptop 8 hour daily in office at a desk. In clamshell mode connected to a large external display. So a small footprint is essential here.

A laptop larger than 13" doesn't meet my needs, it is not so portable and would steal space at my desk. And I will never buy a glossy laptop.

Which is why I am still using my 12" G4 Powerbook at work. Professionally, developing software.

Just saying.

7. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

I script for databases and analyse datasets for a living and I do it on a MBP. And I have another 4 people in my office working the same way. People have to realise that professional use of a laptop is not just sound and video and compiling. Even being a journalist and writing articles on a starbucks table is professional use of the MBP.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

People were saying similar things about when apple dropped the matte screen from the line up. I'm not going to say either way because nobody knows. Since the 13" model is now a "pro" machine who knows.

You can make a case for and against the matte screen on the 13" mbp very easily. Either way, the only folks who know are apple and they don't say much about future products.

9. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

sorry i just dont see that just cause a computer is small and portable that it should be the first choice for a matte screen. i believe that it is strictly a preference as you showed with your last statement saying that you "will never buy a glossy laptop."

and btw the difference between the 15" and 13" is is less than 2" in width and less than an inch deep. so its not like the 13" is much more portable. i think they should replace the 13" with a 12" then the whole portable argument is valid.

this is of course just opinion. and i dont want to start another matte v glossy debate. i am with you guys in that i think its absolutely stupid that they offer it on the 15 and 17" and not on the 13".

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Not to defend anyone, but TS said no Intel 13" notebook has had a matte screen. He didn't say it wouldn't happen, at least I don't think so.

I for one would love it or at the very least they should drop the glass. It's only nice for working in the dark.

11. Thiol macrumors 6502a

Thiol

My guess, and this is total speculation, is that matte screens will be restricted to only those laptops with dedication GPUs. This allows Apple to stick with their idea that "professionals" mainly want matte screens...