Any chance update iMac at Sept. 9 event?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by gugy, Aug 31, 2015.

1. gugy macrumors 68030

Any chance update iMac at Sept. 9 event?
    I need to get one for my son school work and I don't want tio purchase it if maybe next week there is a revision.
    I just hope the new update would have at least Fusion drive standard. It's crazy that Apple still sell the spinners on the lower models.

2. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Sure there is a chance, guess you will need to wait like the rest of us to find out.

3. teethemagicbee macrumors newbie

Pretty sure it's 100% their will be an update. As far as I'm aware, iMacs haven't had the skylake update yet, so that's a deffo upgrade. Usual 6 month slight gpu upgrade is on the cards too. Not 100%, but a close 95% haha. Hold off for now.

4. Stacc macrumors 6502a

I would say its unlikely for the September 9th event, but there is a good chance they will be updated in October. The last few years iPhones and iOS have been announced in September, with OS X and Mac updates in October.

5. gugy thread starter macrumors 68030

That's why I am thinking. I have not heard news for Skylake on desktop models, so the Sept. 9 event might be unlikely.

6. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

7. teethemagicbee macrumors newbie

Aren't they usually announced in September and released in October?

8. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Check the keynotes for the last two years :
    June - WWDC (Software)
    September - iPhone
    October - iPad/Mac

9. Stacc macrumors 6502a

High end desktop Skylake models (Core i5 6600k and Core i7 6700k) were released in early august, rumors have the rest of the lineup being released tomorrow (Sep 1). Sounds like availability has been pretty low for the already announced models.

10. gugy thread starter macrumors 68030

Hopefully something is coming sooner than October. It will be nice an announcement with shipment at later date but it might be a silent upgrade without any reference during the keynote.

11. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

You have two hopes, Bob Hope and No Hope!

Apple use the back to school promotion to clear existing stocks, then unveil the updates in mid-October.

12. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Most likely it won't come until October, if you can't wait that long then buy now, if it comes out on the 9th you're still within the return window so you can return the one you just bought and upgrade to the newer one.

13. alexxk macrumors 6502

I can't wait for the updated 27 inch retina.. as soon as it comes out I will be getting one with Intel i7

14. Enrico macrumors 6502

Enrico

I wanted to get the back to school gift (and sell it!) for a 27" 5K i7, but I'm afraid it will be updated on GPU/CPU in October making me regret the purchase :(

15. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

There may or may not be an announcement, but there will be Skylake Macs this fall.

16. bushman4 macrumors 68000

New iMac coming but doubtful at the Sept 9th meeting. Most likely in October.

Back to school gift is Apples way of cleaning inventory in preparation of new models

17. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    agreed, but given the restraint with their being very limited supplies ad lo yields, i bey it will be december/jan before my skylake imac arrives to me, here in the uk.

18. EnesM macrumors 6502

EnesM

Me too, I've been holding off since June this year (I was kind of hoping it would be announced at WWDC). Skylake is finally here, and the desktop S-series should be available later this year which makes it possible for Apple to announce new iMacs in October...I really hope they include 2TB SSDs as an option, and an nVidia 990m!!

19. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

20. JustMartin macrumors 6502a

It's sounding a bit like 2012 - announcement in October, limited availability from late November and most people actually getting them early in the following year.