Any chance we get a "When in use" option for ALL apps requesting location?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Burton8219, Aug 10, 2014.

1. Burton8219 macrumors 6502

Dark sky, Google Maps, etc. only give the "Always" and "Never" options... Wish I could do only when in use for those like it was in iOS 7. Only really gripe I've had with iOS 8 since B1... Other than early bugs, but that's a given.

2. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

That's a new option for ios 8 thag developers have to enable for their apps. We'll see more in the fall.

3. Burton8219 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah I knew that, but I figured Apple at some point would just make it an option for all of them. More of a vent than anything I guess lol

4. grockk macrumors 6502

grockk

I'm pretty sure that apps with location services in ios 7 have access to location all the time. The new feature is that you can restrict access to only while in use at all.

I could be wrong but that's how it seems to work like setting geofences and background app refresh in iOS 7.

5. Burton8219 thread starter macrumors 6502

Background app refresh deals with apps being able to use data while in the background, not your location.

Apps that use your location in iOS 7 don't have access to your location always... That's why when you open up an app like Dark Sky or Google Maps in iOS 7 it takes a second to find your location.

6. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Something like that is in iOS 7? Isn't this part of it all new in iOS 8?

7. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

You're not understanding me... Apple has already made it an option as part of iOS 8. Developers have to update their apps for iOS 8 before that option will show up.
    And in iOS 7 if you granted an app location permissions it was always on.

8. BrettDS macrumors 65816

This isn't quite true. Apps like Dark Sky and Google Maps take a second to find your location not because they don't have access to your location always, but because they can't run always. It takes them a few seconds to start up and find your location.

Apps that can run in the background can also have access to your location while they are in the background in iOS 7, if they are granted access to your location. Dark Sky is an example of this. It has the option to send you alerts if it's going to start raining soon and it needs to check your location in the background to do so.

9. Burton8219 thread starter macrumors 6502

Are you sure Dark Sky doesn't run notifications by the last location it was open with? I've had several occasions where I've opened it and locked my location at work, which is 20 miles from my house, only to have a notification pop up once I got to my house saying there was rain coming where I work.

If it were tracking my location in the background it shouldn't give me that notification from my work location... Unless I'm missing something.

10. BrettDS macrumors 65816

I don't know for sure, as I've actually only recently enabled notifications with Dark Sky, but i was recently taking a 200 mile drive and about 100 miles from home I got an alert that it would be raining shortly and a few minutes later it started raining. It's certainly possible that was a coincidence, but it doesn't seem terribly useful if it doesn't actually give you alerts for wherever you happen to be.

----------

Well, I got curious and I took a look at their website (darkskyapp.com) and found the following:
    It certainly sounds like it tracks your location in the background.