Any chance we see a smaller Thunderbolt display from Apple?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by GooberMan, Feb 20, 2014.

1. GooberMan macrumors member

I was looking into Apple's Thunderbolt display and didn't realize just how big it is. It wouldn't even really fit onto my desk unless I rearranged some things.

Considering the display is ripe for an update, any chance we see a smaller one as well?

I don't know, seems like the trend in monitors is not only sharp quality but also big size. I'd like to see Apple buck that size trend with a smaller Thunderbolt display. Maybe I'm in the minority with that, but they could probably also lower the price on a smaller one and make it a more viable option for people.

2. ABCDEF-Hex macrumors 6502

ABCDEF-Hex

I'd be happy with an affordable 24".

With updated ports and specs.

3. Fishrrman macrumors G3

[[ Any chance we see a smaller Thunderbolt display from Apple? ]]

My guess is the chance is "zero".

Apple doesn't seem to be in any hurry to update the exsiting thunderbolt display.

4. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

Theres certainly the precedence for multiple sizes, but I got the impression of a 'sigh of relief' from apple when they simplified down to one. So yes, unless their 20 / 23 / 30 experience left them with a bad taste.

Personally, I think a pair mimicking the iMac pair is a no brainer: 21 + 27. The transition to 4k is the perfect opportunity.

5. Dr Charter macrumors 6502

It doesn't seem too difficult to use the 21" iMac panels to make a smaller display. I would have bought that one in a heartbeat. That said, it's worth it to adjust your desk setup to accommodate the 27" model. It's a great display. I'm an English professor, so I don't work on anything that demands that much space but spreading out the browser, documents and other programs is nice.

6. SteelBlueTJ macrumors 6502

I am also awaiting the update to the Thunderbolt Display. I love my new 27" iMac and want to add the thunderbolt display as a secondary screen but refuse to pay for 3 year old technology. My wish list for the next update if/when it comes:

1. USB 3.0 & Thunderbolt 2. They could ditch the FW800 in favor of another thunderbolt port.
    2.Make it match the current iMacs in every way - Slim design, same height and under glass display panel. Also offer both 21.5" and 27" sizes.
    3. A power button would be nice! For those of use who use it as a secondary or third monitor, sometimes we don't need to have it burning on all the time. Thats my biggest gripe about the 24" & 27" displays.
    4. In the 27" category, offer both the 2560x1440 version and a new 4K option for new Mac Pro users.

That's my Thunderbolt display wish list. Hopefully Apple will release an updated version soon, or I may end up getting the Dell U2713HM instead.

7. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

I would guess less than zero. Look all the folks drooling of the big wide 4K screens. A 27" ATD2 based on 4K (in parallel to Mavericks getting 4K support) would be a big hit....unless the ATD2 price is in the iclouds.

8. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Obviously take my opinion for what it's worth but....

1. The trend in all monitors is bigger.
    2. There is an inherent expense just including a thunderbolt "dock" to any monitor.
    3. Because of 2, who would be willing to pay $600+ for a 21" monitor?

It's a little easier pill to swallow paying $1000 for a 27" display (since there are many in that realm of cost), than it $600+ for a 21" (most 21" IPS displays are now well under $200).

Obviously you would like a smaller display, but I think the population as a whole wouldn't buy. Most would just go buy an iMac at that point.

9. GooberMan thread starter macrumors member

That's what I was thinking, and it seems at least somewhat sensible.

I understand the appeal of a big monitor, but I always thought one of the advantages of higher resolution was that so you wouldn't have to get a massively sized monitor to fit more on screen.

And then yeah, the price too. Would be nice to have a less expensive option as well.

10. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

That was true traditionally, but with the advent of retina/HiDPI, resolution is being pumped into sharper results, not necessarily into more content. 4k screens so far, are less than 30". To not disappear into sharpness, they would need to be over 40".

Thats not to say that retina is a bad thing, just that to gain sharpness and workspace at the same time requires substantial increases in sizes, pixel density, video cable capacity, and GPU.

11. thedeske macrumors 6502a

If Apple made a small 21-24 display with USB3, TB, Mic/Speakers/Cam it would be a huge hit for many.
    Something tells me they're sour on panel replacement until they can control or own the process.

USB3 on laptop products for 2 years and the display designed to go with it....crickets

12. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

I am not sure I understand what you're trying to say here. Asus, Sharp and Dell are all selling 32" 4k monitors. The only 4k screen for sale right now that is less than 30" is Dell's 24".

13. Zellio macrumors 65816

Zellio

How about a thin thunderbolt panel with updated specs first? The new dells kill them in terms of screen quality (Although the quality control sucks), and the iMacs are thinner then the thunderbolt panels... :rolleyes: