Any chance well see e-ink keyboards anytime soon?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rebubula, May 22, 2011.

1. rebubula macrumors newbie

There was a Samsung flip phone with this technology a couple years ago, it would be awesome if they put this into their MBP line for use with Logic Photoshop and iMovie, etc

2. palpatine macrumors 68040

As a USB keyboard for those who want it, or maybe offered as an "upgrade" would be fine, but I hope we never see it as a part of the standard MBP package!

It would be a nightmare for touch typing. I've tried to do work on my iPad, and it is possible to actually do some typing for short periods. If I had to pound on a screen all day instead of using keys, though, I would have some pretty exhausted fingers. Of course, I'd also have a bunch of mistakes as well, because it is quite difficult to stay properly aligned without tactile feedback.

Hopefully, you really meant an e-ink screen. I think we will have something like that soon. Mirasol and others have developed some quite promising color technology that is capable of displaying videos. But, it isn't quite ready yet for production.

3. steadysignal macrumors 6502a

steadysignal

i would miss that mechanical feel if the kybds went to ink...

4. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

It would be cool if they put small e-ink displays on each key that could change according to the application. But this would probably be impossible.

5. rebubula thread starter macrumors newbie

The keys on this phone were tactile as im hoping the eink would be built under/ into tactile the key

6. JTToft macrumors 68040

7. rebubula thread starter macrumors newbie

8. JTToft macrumors 68040

- Yeah... The price of the Optimus Maximus keyboard is absolutely ridiculous!

9. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

$1599 but OOS.

10. rbdearz, Apr 11, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2012

rbdearz macrumors newbie

Definitely Possible

Samsung has done it with a cellphone http://www.geek.com/articles/mobile/samsung-alias-2-has-morphing-e-ink-keypad-20090512/

So Apple could easily do it with a keyboard, it would be neat if they did a color e-ink keyboard, with the option for a SUPER AMOLED touchscreen keyboard replacement as well.

http://www.eink.com/display_products_triton.html

11. ELA2 macrumors member

We would probably see retina keyboards soon if Steve was still around. Will be interesting to see the new MacBook pro refresh. Apple was always about the next big thing. While its still an innovator I think we'll see in the years to come that it's more about profits. Hopefully I'm wrong.

12. Tea-Aholic macrumors 6502

Wasn't Steve all about the bitmap UI? He heavily criticised smartphones with I quote "little plastic keyboards in them" and how they don't change to optimise for each application.

13. snaky69 macrumors 603

A touch screen keyboard is just fine for cellphones seeing as you're using it while looking at the screen at the same already, thus you see the keyboard at all times in the bargain. For a computer though, it is utterly useless and stupid. How would anybody touch type if the keyboard were a flat piece of glass?

Apart from the added costs, added power draw and added weight, it does nothing for the functionality of the computer, and in my opinion, it even impedes it. It's simply not going to happen.

14. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

I think it would be nice if they just offered a keyboard layout that is blank. Add a few printable masks with stickers that hold in place the same way display films do. Then everybody can print whatever they like on the keys and even change it. The keys wouldn't get shiny because you just change the sticker and if you want russian, german, english on the same key you just print a mix. You could print on the media keys everything you want. Or add symbols for some apps you need them.

That would be really great but it seems there are too few multi lingual buyers out there to care.
    I would also just like a blank keyboard with nothing on it. Looks better and who needs the labels anyway.

15. robvas macrumors 68020

Real buttons have 'feel' to them which glass doesn't.

16. ELA2 macrumors member

Yes I agree. I was thinking more along the line of real keys with retina displays on top.