Any cheaper replacement batteries for mid 2009 MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dingdongbubble, Dec 15, 2012.

1. dingdongbubble macrumors 6502a

Hi,

I've got a mid 2009 13" 2.26 Ghz MBP.

I might need to replace my MBP's batteries but the official Apple stuff is too expensive to spend on an old computer. Are there any decent third party batteries available? Where can I find them? Are they advisable?

Secondly I know its not on topic but oh well, how dramatic a difference would an SSD make for my system? I have the 160GB HDD that came with the system.

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

You get what you pay for. I would stay away from cheap 3rd party batteries.

I've got the 2.53GHz mid 2009 13" and I upgraded to a 256GB Crucial M4. It was a HUGE improvement.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I agree with T5BRICK. I wouldn't trust or recommend any non-Apple battery, due to the number of problems reported with "knockoff" batteries. Also, there is no assurance that knockoff batteries have the same charging technology that Apple uses, involving the battery, the MagSafe adapter and the Mac's logic board.

Battery Replacement
    Replacing the built-in battery in your MacBook Pro
    Replacing the Battery in your MacBook Air
    Intel-based Apple Portables: How to replace or service a built-in battery

The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

4. dingdongbubble thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fair enough. Is it at least possible to do the replacement myself so that labour costs could be saved? (and it sounds like fun)

5. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I don't think Apple charges for labor on a battery replacement(or the labor is built in to the cost).

6. dingdongbubble thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hmm well what I mean is couldn't I possibly get just the battery cheaper and then replace it myself since my MBP is already out of warranty and old.

7. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

If you shop around, you may find one for less than what Apple is asking, but since it is a service part you're not going to find one at any normal retail stores.

8. dingdongbubble thread starter macrumors 6502a

OK thanks everyone for your replies, much appreciated.