any cloning software allow you to do this?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by btownguy, Jul 31, 2009.

1. btownguy macrumors 6502

Here's what I want to do:

1) Have a bootable CD that only runs the backup program (OSX not running)
    2) Create an image copy of my hard drive
    3) Be able to browse through the image file when I am working in OSX so that I can pick out individual files if needed

This is how I use Acronis TruImage on my Windows systems. For whatever reason, I don't trust backups made while the operating system is running. Maybe this comes from my old days trying to backup servers with ArcServe and having to buy a special addon to help you backup open files. I think it's just cleaner if I run the backup from a "dos" environment. I think my Acronis TruImage disc boots PC-DOS and runs only the TruImage software.

Are there any solutions to do this with Mac?

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

CCC (free) mentioned above can do most of that, but browsing the image it cannot do. You would need to boot from the bootable backup to view its contents. Though, if you use the incremental archiving you can view those backups. That's what I use personally. CCC does run in the OS, but it has no problems handling open files. That was only a Windows issue really. Another option, for just making a bootable backup is SuperDuper (about $30).

3. sputacus macrumors regular

I use SuperDuper! to clone my Mac. It allows you to browse and access the files in clone as you would any other drive. It creates the clone from a running OS without any problems whatsoever. I can run my system from the clone in case my internal hard drive fails.

I don't think it creates a bootable CD of itself, though.

cost around $28 (well worth it)

http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/SuperDuperDescription.html

4. belvdr macrumors 603

Not true. Plenty of applications and systems have file locking issues.

5. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I was only referring to backup software, not applications in general.

6. belvdr macrumors 603

Oh gotcha.