Any Cluedo players?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MrSmith, Feb 1, 2010.

1. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

Not one of the most important questions you'll face today, but I have a question about the board game Cluedo. Say someone makes a rumour and no one around the board can show any of those cards. At that moment everyone else (or at least all those who have also seen any spare cards at the pool) will know who, what and where. So what's to stop someone nearer the pool than the person who just made the rumour dashing in the pool and 'stealing' the accusation from the former person and winning the game? It seems a little like 'cheating' to me. The idea is to make your way to the pool to make your accusation, on the assumption that only you have obtained that information. But in fact everyone else will also know. Am I missing something?

2. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

Actually, if somebody made a rumour and nobody can show any cards, then if I were one of the other people (not the person who made the rumour) I would instantly assume that the person who made the rumour has at least one card that was involved in the rumour. For example, person A creates the rumour that it was scarlet in the dining room with the candlestick. Nobody shows any of those cards, so I would assume that person A has either Scarlet, The Dining Room, The Candlestick, Scarlet&The Dining Room, Scarlet& The Candlestick, or The Dining Room&The Candlestick.

By doing this, Person A can definately know one of the cards from the middle, possibly even two (although this is unlikely). They can also catch out others who run to the middle shouting that this rumour is true, when Person A knows that he/she has one of those cards. I got caught out this way once (by a freakin nine year old too :rolleyes:) and have been much more cautious since.

3. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I don't even use that dinky little paper that comes with Clue. I bust out a full notebook and record a bunch of data and try to analyze it to get ahead... I also keep track of what I've shown other people so I know what they know from me and also remind myself to reshow them things they've already seen... and if you remember who shows you what, you can know what your stop gaps are if you ask something...

Of course... nobody really plays Clue with me anymore because of this... but I used to have fun... :p

4. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

I do the same thing. I have this little Clue Notebook where I track everything during the game (well, I used to). If you cross-reference enough, you find out pretty quick what people have. I win like 99.9% of the time.

...nobody plays with me anymore either :(

5. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

That's what I attempt to do, except the little pieces of paper aren't big enough. I'll have to go all out like you guys and get some real paper.

6. MrSmith thread starter macrumors 68040

MrSmith

Ahhh, I see. I'll pass this on to the rest of the family. Thanks guys.