Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

99MustangGTman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 3, 2008
Germantown MD/ Columbus OH
Thinking about joining the National Guard, but I am a full time student. I have been reading up on the National Guard website, but I am still confused about how things work.

So do I go once a weekend a month to serve?

Exactly how does the whole process work?

Technically classes don't start for me until the 30th of March. (Ohio State has trimesters) So would I go to basic training some part of of the summer, then once school starts back up in the fall I would still take one weekend out of my month to serve?

I would like to serve my country, but I still want to get a college education uninterrupted.

Thanks for answering any questions I have, I would like to get questions answered by people who have experience with this before I talk to a recruiter.

-Ray

PCsucks

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2008
sup i think it is like two weekends in a year or something like that there is a book out their called The last true story i'll ever tell by john crawford it is similar to your situation you should read it

StealthRider

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2002
Here and there!
Based on what i've heard it is better to join after school since it will take a lot out of my college.

If you do join, look into doing ROTC at school. I'm not clear on the details, since I'm not in the Army, but I think it's possible for you to be in the National Guard, join ROTC, and commission as an officer after graduation. And, you'll be non-deployable as a ROTC cadet.

PCsucks

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2008
wait do want to do this so it will pay for college cause i heard they pay for your college for a few weekends a year

Andrew07

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2007
My friend who is in the National Guard is returning this week from a year and a half deployment in Afghanistan. He was not in college at the time of his enlistment. Be sure and do your research before signing up, as the "every-other-weekend" rule is only applicable during peacetime.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.