iPhone 7(+) Any compelling reason to spend 250% of the price of an iPhone 7 for an SE?

TomOSeven

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 4, 2017
Hi all,

I want to go back to the iPhone because I like the integration with my iPad.

Since I mainly use my phone as an MP3-player with WhatsApp, spending 500 Euros on one seems hard to justify.

With the iPhone SE being refreshed this year, the prices of older iPhones dropped by quite a bit, so now you can get a refurbished iPhone 7 128 GB for 200 Euros. The iPhone SE is 500 Euro for the same storage size.

Do you see any justification to spend that much more? As far as I can tell, the iPhone SE has a much newer processor and a slightly newer camera, but that's it?

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
The photos are night and day better, but if that doesn’t matter to you I guess it comes down to how often you upgrade.

Personally I buy the highest end and only get rid of it once it starts to fail. I personally replaced my 6s battery twice and only upgraded because I slightly damaged a connector (touchscreen would stop working until I pressed in a certain area that corresponded with the connector) and got tired of the minor annoyance.

My 11 Pro is likely going to be with me at least 5 years.

If you’re the rare upgrade type, I’d say get the SE and ride that awesome performance for years to come.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
If you’re the rare upgrade type, I’d say get the SE and ride that awesome performance for years to come.
This.

I'm an every three year upgrader. Had an 8 and since phone does not get used much (no gaming, no video playing; primarily podcast and music playing, mail, calendar/reminders, check lists, reading news away from home) was going to see how iOS 14 ran on an 8. If good enough, skip latest upgrade, as line-up was not compelling through 11 re: features and cost ($1k for an 8-ish sized phone, OLED unimportant, as well as cameras as not primary shooter when it matters).

But SE is compelling, in that 11 processor in a form factor I'm happy with at a great price. So bought, as gives me runway to decide if 13 or 14 will be the next phone for me. Or further down the road.

With rumors firming up re: 12, a little buyer's remorse, as the "cheap" phone will be a size I can live with at a price that is not onerous. But then I also wonder if MacRumors will be flooded with posts about how their phones are having connection and battery drain issues with the 5G, which seems to be the norm anytime a new radio chip/technology is introduced to an iPhone (sure might be psychosomatic). True, with this round, getting the chips from Qualcomm (assumed), so should not be an issue vs other manufacturers, but yet... wait it out as 5G not important to me and can wait it out with the SE.

Reactions: Kimjongjohan

TomOSeven

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 4, 2017
I used my iPhone 5 for five years or so and I never saw reason to upgrade until Apple stopped releasing updates for it.

Reactions: JM and pldelisle

snipr125

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2015
UK
Compared to the 7, the new SE also has wireless charging and 3gb RAM, as well as the incredibly powerful A13 Bionic and significantly better camera that you already know about. However the 7 is still a viable iPhone to use, and Apple still use its A10 in the current entry level iPad, so should get updates for a further few years yet. Maybe consider the iPhone 8 if you can get it for like €100 more than the 7?

rui no onna

macrumors G3
Oct 25, 2013
This for me. I actually did upgrade from an iPhone 7 (bad battery plus no dual SIM) to the iPhone SE2.

I was prepared to buy a $1200 phone back in 2017 but the iPhone X ended up being a disappointment. None of the upgrades since have been particularly compelling. The SE2 gives me a lot of leeway to wait until Apple releases something more to my taste.

freeagent

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2020
I left my 7 for an XS Max, that was a solid upgrade. Personally I don’t care about the notch, it has no effect on me like it does on others. My wife went from a 7 to an SE. She likes the speed, and the camera. It’s more of a side grade than an upgrade in my opinion, especially when compared to the notched phones.

Reactions: Motionblurrr

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
I would say the biggest difference would be the camera. Day to day use you really won’t notice a difference in app opening speeds.

I have the 10.2 inch iPad that has the A10. I did a test with the 11Pro Max and they almost had the same speed.

ian87w

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Hi all,

I want to go back to the iPhone because I like the integration with my iPad.

Since I mainly use my phone as an MP3-player with WhatsApp, spending 500 Euros on one seems hard to justify.

With the iPhone SE being refreshed this year, the prices of older iPhones dropped by quite a bit, so now you can get a refurbished iPhone 7 128 GB for 200 Euros. The iPhone SE is 500 Euro for the same storage size.

Do you see any justification to spend that much more? As far as I can tell, the iPhone SE has a much newer processor and a slightly newer camera, but that's it?
Wait, are you getting the refurbished iPhone 7 from Apple? I would only buy refurbished iPhones from Apple. I would stay away from non Apple refurbished iPhones, no matter how cheap they are. There are too many fake parts for older iPhones out there.

velocityg4

macrumors 601
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Wait, are you getting the refurbished iPhone 7 from Apple? I would only buy refurbished iPhones from Apple. I would stay away from non Apple refurbished iPhones, no matter how cheap they are. There are too many fake parts for older iPhones out there.
Just to add. If it isn't Apple refurbished. What it often means is the seller wiped it off with a dirty cloth and verified it turns on. Then declares it refurbished for more money. You can find tons of "refurbished" items on eBay covered with dings and scratches and 50% battery life.

Actually Apple is the only manufacturer I can think of where refurbished actually means like new with a full warranty. It seems many other OEM's refurbished just means repaired but possible dinged up with a 90 day warranty.

Long story short. If it isn't Apple refurbished. Just buy it used off eBay. You'll save even more money and have tons of buyer protection.

I used my iPhone 5 for five years or so and I never saw reason to upgrade until Apple stopped releasing updates for it.
If that's your reason. iOS 14 may be the last iOS for the 7. While the SE likely has four or five years of iOS updates to go.

Personally, I'm leaning towards getting a used iPhone Xr in great shape. It's a little cheaper than the SE. Sure it's a bit slower but the screen is much nicer. You could go mid way with an iPhone 8. At least in the US it is about half the price of an SE 2020 but a considerably improvement over the 7.

QCassidy352

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
If that's your reason. iOS 14 may be the last iOS for the 7. While the SE likely has four or five years of iOS updates to go.
I find that unlikely, since apple still sells two A10 devices brand new today (iPod touch and iPad 7). I think 15 will support the A10 devices but drop A9.

That said, assuming I am right and iOS 15 supports the iPhone 7, that means the last iOS update for it will come in 2021. You're planning to keep it to 2025. That would be like being on a device today that's capped at iOS 9. No bueno.

I have a 7 (actually 2, one work and one personal), and yes it's still fine for today. But for someone who is planning to keep it 5 years, I'd get the SE for sure. The A10 came out in 2016; in 2025, it will be a nine year old chip.

Finally: a 300 Euro difference spread over 5 years is .16 Euro a day, or less than five Euros a month. No way the SE isn't worth it over a five year expected lifespan.

Marlon DLTH :)

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2020
Future proofing. If you plan to change it in one or two years, get the 7. If you plan to have it for at least 3 years, get the SE. The 7 will stop getting updates with iOS 15-16.

Ruggy

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2017
Just to add. If it isn't Apple refurbished. What it often means is the seller wiped it off with a dirty cloth and verified it turns on. Then declares it refurbished for more money. You can find tons of "refurbished" items on eBay covered with dings and scratches and 50% battery life.

Actually Apple is the only manufacturer I can think of where refurbished actually means like new with a full warranty. It seems many other OEM's refurbished just means repaired but possible dinged up with a 90 day warranty.

Long story short. If it isn't Apple refurbished. Just buy it used off eBay. You'll save even more money and have tons of buyer protection.

Personally, I'm leaning towards getting a used iPhone Xr in great shape. It's a little cheaper than the SE. Sure it's a bit slower but the screen is much nicer. You could go mid way with an iPhone 8. At least in the US it is about half the price of an SE 2020 but a considerably improvement over the 7.
Hi
And may I add to that, if it's been opened for any reason you lose the waterproofing and as water damage is a major cause of iphone replacement, it's something to bear in mind.
That is by a third party. As far as I'm aware when Apple do it they reseal the screen the same as new.
It's not the same when it's just a bit of double sided tape.

Reactions: JM
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.