iPad Any compelling reason?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by TheOtherKind, Oct 26, 2014.

1. TheOtherKind macrumors member

So I'm pretty satisfied with 7.1.2 jailbreak on an iPad4. Now that the 8.1 is imminent as soon as things stabilize...is there really any compelling reason to upgrade? I really don't want to "downgrade" my performance, as is the usual way of it when upgrading on older hardware...is there anything I'm missing, other than future app compatability?

2. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

3. TheOtherKind thread starter macrumors member

I can see that if you have a Mac or an iPhone, but I have neither

4. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

Having gone from 6.x JB to 7.x JB on a Mini 1 in August, and then stock 7 to 8 on a Mini 2 last week...

For me, the plus to 8.1 is app supported NC widgets and extensions for using apps like 1Password directly in Safari. This is huge for the way I use my devices.

The minus is that 8.1 is a bit buggier than 7.1.2, which in turn was worse than 6.x.x. (And I haven't even experienced any of the bigger bugs.) Spellcheck is now worse than useless with contractions (the new predictive keyboard function helps that though; I finally turned autocorrect off).

I too have no use for Continuity or Handoff. Even so, the pros outweigh the cons for me. I've seen no battery issues and little perceptible change in performance speeds...but the Mini 2 is a newer device. I'll be interested to see what happens when I upgrade my iphone 5 this week or next. Waiting for the polished JB to be released and for a couple of tweaks to be updated first!

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

If I were still on iOS 6 I would see no need to update as I had everything iOS 7 has only, IMO, it's implemented better via tweak than stock iOS 7. And iOS 6 has no fruity colors. iOS 8 seems to be moving toward a stock NC widget thing that I had suited to my liking under iOS 6. I hate that CC replaced the NC in iOS 7 essentially.

Unfortunately, due to having to replace my iPhone 5, I am stuck on iOS 7 and iOS 8 is a way off of iOS 7 and will give me some NC freedom back (hopefully).

But I am not leaping until the jailbreak is ready for the average jailbreak user.

6. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

I'm on 7.1.2 jailbroken and plan to keep it that way until my 5s no longer turns on (hopefully 4+ years).

You don't have to worry about app compatibility on your previous app purchases because ever since iOS 7 you can simply download the last version of the app that works on your OS, even if the newest version of that app requires a future iOS version you refuse to update to.

Plus I'll simply get a battery replacement from Apple when needed to keep the battery life stellar.

Each new iOS version brings about more bugs and slower performance on previous iPhones, so if I'm perfectly happy with iOS 7... why would I update?