Any computer to iphone streaming apps left??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mjfan82, Nov 16, 2011.

1. mjfan82 macrumors regular

I've been looking for apps that stream media (files, pictures, musics etc.) from my computer to my iPhone. Apps that "used" to do this are orb, simplify, and zumocast. It seems as if none of these apps are now working. I know there are apps such as dropbox and zumodrive that are relatively the same thing however, they use cloud technology and charge you for storage. What happened to the simple "stream unlimited media from computer to iphone" apps?? Thanks in advance guys.

2. tizzo macrumors newbie

Are you referring to something like Discover or Files: Document Reader?

3. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

They're not free (believe each only costs a few $) but I have both Air Video and Stream To Me. I generally rely on Air Video to stream movies/TV to my iPad or iPhone from my home HTPC and as long as you have decent bandwidth, it works well.

4. jeffsaha macrumors member

Playon works well also, but it is also a pay service. You can stream your library off 3G also, which is nice.

5. mjfan82 thread starter macrumors regular

I have air video and it works great! However, I am looking for something that also streams music/pictures/documents.....like what zumocast used to do. Playon looks like it's only for tv shows. I will check streamtome and see if that fits the bill. Thanks a lot for the quick response guys!

6. tremlock macrumors 6502a

tremlock

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Audio galaxy will do music

7. NoHo macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Orb doesn't work anymore?

8. MyRomeo macrumors 6502

MyRomeo

iMediaControl works well from my media server on a NAS. It's free too :)

9. inlvnv macrumors member

Still using Orb for live TV only. (Currently on older Orb server 2.57.0010 and Orblive 3.122, as I have no faith in their newer versions.) Otherwise, using 2 great apps, AirVideo for video and StreamToMe for music & pics. neither are free.

10. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

I use iTunes Home Sharing to stream music & video to my iPhone, iPad, and Apple TVs.

Are people looking at alternate services simply to avoid using iTunes, or to add additional capabilities like streaming content out over 3G?

11. inlvnv macrumors member

Primarily for over 3g, although I do use AirVideo and StreamToMe within home network to stream to TVs via ATV2s. iTunes supports very limited number of video file formats, so it's not practical for many of us with video collections with several different file formats.

12. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

How do you use them with ATV2? Start on your iPhone/iPad and use AirPlay, or is there a direct method?

13. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I just purchased streamtome and it works freaking great. Works over wifi and 3G. I now have access to all of my music which is 32K worth! Excellent app and the server software is easy to setup to boot. It is not free though, $2.99 but it is more then worth that price.

I used to use zumocast before Motorola decided to screw over the iOS people that made the app famous. Rat bastards.

14. inlvnv macrumors member

AirVideo and StreamToMe support Airplay.

15. monkeylui macrumors 6502

I use Stream To Me. Love it. But that's locally. Via 3G or away from home, I'm not sure the best option. Sorry.

16. ant1298 macrumors 6502

ant1298

anyone tried using air playit, it streams from a dedicated folder on the users pc, I find it good to watch movies on my iPad :)

forgot to mention I think it works over 3G, so long as you have the pc's password and a login, which you set up on the pc.

17. TXAppleUser macrumors member

TXAppleUser

Orb was my favorite and most-used iPhone and iPad app while it worked. Their latest software update (PC) completely killed the app. I'm not sure why they would have done such a thing. Their app was selling well in the appstore for $9.99 and they had great reviews.

I'm looking for a new app as well. I have a PC running at home with a TV tuner that is always on. Has anyone found anything similar to Orb that works?

----------

Do you have them running on a Windows PC? If so, do you have a link to where I can download the older version of the Orb server? Thanks in advance.

18. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

I think he's talking about being out and about and not at home, i.e. if OP say were on a bus/train to work to stream Dexter or Top Gear or something from his PC.

19. TXAppleUser macrumors member

TXAppleUser

Right. That's what we are all looking for. That's service that Orb provided before it went down the drain.

20. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I second airplayit. Great app and best of all, free

21. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

Nothing is better than Plex for streaming your media.

/Thread

22. TXAppleUser macrumors member

TXAppleUser

Does Plex support live TV streaming?

23. walie macrumors 6502a

airvideo for videos
    audiogalaxy for music

not hard guys

24. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

no, it streams your media.

If you're in the uk you can try "TVCatchup" that streams live tv :)

25. webvan, Jan 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2012

webvan macrumors member

I recently came across AirPlayIt too and it works well and its free. It looks like a bit of an AirVideo clone but it does more than video, so...I currently use it for audio over 3G as Streamtome only works well from my home network for some reason, over 3G it times out a lot when listing directories, does anyone else have that problem? Doubt it's my setup since I have no such problem with Air Video or Airplayit.

A downside of AiPlayIt I've found compared to AirVideo is that it maxes out my Quadcore when streaming video, AirVideo does have peaks at 100% but goes up and down.

Will try Audio Galaxy that's been mentioned here as it seems to support more formats (no FLAC for AirPlayIt).

What would be great is an app with a browser or PC client to stream music or videos when you're on the go and don't/can't whip out the iOS device. Zumocast does that to some extent but I found it to be rather clunky. edit : clearly AudioGalaxy does that, nice, unfortunately it doesn't allow you to browse through the folders of your hard drive, too bad, that's the way I like to do it...

I came across another app called Remote Potato but it won't let you choose the music directories you want to stream, so...

Plex is nice but like Orb it insists on indexing your whole library and I've found issues with that, mainly in terms of refreshing and making the host work hard in the background. When I checked it was the only app with an Android client though, there must be others now.

Oh and why can't StreamToMe or others that allow folder browsing offer "bookmarks", that would be nice rather than having to sift through folders...guess the answer to that is indexing like AudioGalaxy does.