Any couchsurfers around here?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by juanm, Dec 10, 2007.

1. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

Disclaimer: I don't know if this thread goes against MR policies. If it does, erase it, please.

Hi! Does anybody know Couchsurfing?

It's a social network (or whatever they call it) based on couch-sharing.
    Basically, you sign in (it's free, although donations are appreciated, obviously) and you fill in your profile, stating where you live, and the availability of your couch. In exchange, you can have access to other people's couches around the world. Like on eBay, you give feedback to your hosts/guests, so the network gets rid itself of unwanted people.
    For increased security, there's an optional verification system (you have to pay for this, though, but it's only $20 and really worth it). That said, you really don't need to get verified to start couchsurfing.

I've been on couchsurfing.com for about a month and a half, and so far the experience has been extremely positive. I first hosted two girls from Maine who were backpacking across Europe. Then I went to New York for a few days, and stayed in Harlem at another girl's apartment. A few days ago, I hosted four guys from Latvia (aka Lettonia).
    In your profile you state how many people, if any, you can host, when, and for how many nights.

I know it sounds like a lot of blurbing, but I really like the project.

2. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

If I were less of an antisocial **** I'd totally do that.

3. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Been there, done that. I used globalfreeloaders.com

Met some nice folks while I was in Europe. But, nobody ever wanted to come to Baltimore.

4. iKwick7 macrumors 65816

iKwick7

That will happen. Same with New Jersey. :)

5. juanm thread starter macrumors 65816

juanm

6. juanm thread starter macrumors 65816

juanm

I was indeed surprised when I witnessed people who had actually chosen to visit Valencia. :p
    Maybe Couchsurfing can bring a more successful harvest...

7. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

I thought that idea looked neat, saw it on a local newscast, but I don't have the money to travel :(

8. juanm thread starter macrumors 65816

juanm

And two more german girls who will be coming on sunday and will leave on monday! If only I had the smallest interest in learning german... :eek:

9. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

My mate has done it and found himself in a really weird situation when he was staying with someone. Long story short while he was there their dog killed the next door neighbours cat.

10. juanm thread starter macrumors 65816

juanm

Well, the odds of it happening two times to the same person are quite small, so he/she go ahead and couchsurf confidently now!
    So far, the bad only thing that has happened to me was when my guest got her passport stolen. I felt ashamed even though obviously it hadn't been me... But apparently she was quite inattentive, so the odds of it happening to her were fairly high. :rolleyes:
    Oh, and that in NY I had a hard time finding the place at first. But for that, I can only blame myself. Everything else went smooth.

As long as you choose you guests and potential appropiately, you are quite sure that everything will go well. That's what the profiles and feedback are for. :)
    So far I have only Extremely Positive feedback.

11. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

You'd better reserve your favourite chair, then.

12. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Man, I must be the only one here, who has a problem opening up my house to a complete stranger. This just isn't for me.

13. NEENAHBOY macrumors 6502

Nope, you're not the only one. And, living in downtown Chicago, I'd feel the never-ending obligation to play tour guide, which I just can't do more than once every six months.

14. juanm thread starter macrumors 65816

juanm

Well, nobody forces you to accept people, fortunately.

But it's more about meeting people from other countries, and, eventually, visiting other places.

Yes, I admit the first time I was a little anxious (I've met other people I had met on the net, but it wasn't the same thing) so I chose a couple of "light" couchsurfers: if the two Maine 18 yo girls had turned out to be psychopaths or serial killers, it would have been relatively easy to control them. As it turns out, they were quite unharmful, and even an easy prey for pickpockets...