Any courses for complete beginners in UK to attend?

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by MrMister111, Aug 17, 2013.

1. MrMister111 macrumors 68000

Complete beginner on programming but know Apple and computers well in general.

Is there any courses to attend at a college or training centre in UK for complete beginners for iOS, I'm based in North East England.

I have an iMac, iPhone, iPads etc, I know I can download Xcode and have a mess, but I feel I'd learn better if I went on a paid course?

Anyone in UK know, or even better recommend any?

Thanks

2. 1458279 Suspended

As far as a physical place to go, I'd pass on that for several reasons:
    1. expensive
    2. you'll be learning programming well before you learn 'iOS development'
    3. they'll most likely go at the classes pace, not your pace.

You can learn programming in any language. Before you get into iOS development, you'll want some background in things like:

Object Oriented Programming
    C/C++/ObjC language basics

You can start this with any object oriented language, C/C++/ObjC are probably the better ones to start with.

You'll save a ton of money.

I'd say there are at least two different things to learn: Programming / iOS development.

You should start with programming, then jump into iOS and study the tools (IDE, compiler, debugger, APIs, etc...)

3. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks, is it not possible from a beginners point of view to start straight in iOS programming?

Could I not download Xcode and start from there? Using Apple developer PDFs and videos? and also but a book?

I was just thinking if I do a class, although expensive would get me started?

4. Mark FX macrumors regular

Mark FX

When I was looking for courses in the UK myself a couple of years ago, there were very little to choose from at that time, but there are a few more at local colleges these days, although in general the UK is way behind coutries like US in providing programming courses for students at school or college.

So I ended up teaching myself with books from The Big Nerd Ranch, and online tutorials at www.raywenderlich.com, and also the Stanford University iTunes U courses.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Objective-C-Programming-Ranch-Guide-Guides/dp/032194206X/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1376842116&sr=1-5&keywords=big+nerd+ranch

http://www.amazon.co.uk/iOS-Programming-Ranch-Guide-Guides/dp/0321942051/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1376842116&sr=1-4&keywords=big+nerd+ranch

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cocoa-Programming-Mac-OS-X/dp/0321774086/ref=sr_1_8?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1376842116&sr=1-8&keywords=big+nerd+ranch

I've done a brief Google search for "Objective-C courses UK" and got a few results like these one below.

http://www.amsys.co.uk/course/objective-c-for-beginners/

http://www.learningtree.co.uk/courses/2755/objective-c-programming-for-the-mac-iphone-ipad/

http://www.themanchestercollege.ac.uk/adults/courses/iphoneipod-touch-software-development-objective-c-1

But I found a lot more than just these three, so you'll have to search the Google results for more in you're local area yourself.

Good Luck

Regards Mark

5. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks appreciate the links and advice. Did you start programming from complete scratch? No prior programming knowledge? Did you just install Xcode and then use the books and online tutorials?

Seen a few bits about these "big nerd" books, seem to be the best? Seen the iTunes U tutorials as well, and PDFs on developer.apple.com site.

Really interested to know how people start from scratch, all advice seems to be for people who have experience of programming and then doing a "sideways" step to Obj-C/iOS.

6. Mark FX macrumors regular

Mark FX

When I learned Objective-C and iOS/Mac programming, I had done some OOP programming on Windows with VB previously, but in all honesty knowing some VB really did'nt help with Obj-C.

I advise installing Xcode, and starting with the Big Nerd Ranch book below.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Objective-C-Programming-Ranch-Guide-Guides/dp/032194206X/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1376844072&sr=1-5&keywords=big+nerd+ranch

This book will teach you the basics of the C language, and move you slowly on to Objective-C Language.

Also I can't praise the team over at www.raywenderlich.com enough, their begginers guides and tutorials are the best online stuff you'll find, and they always make it fun and interesting.

Regards Mark

7. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks for link again Mark, that book is a pre-order so take it just find the previous edition.

That site looks good, I'm happy to pay for a decent course, but as I say I'm a complete beginner to programming, not just iOS programming. So I take it I'd buy the iOS apprentice series? are they PDF files? http://www.raywenderlich.com/store/ios-apprentice

I've also seen video tutorials like this
    http://m.lynda.com/Objective-C-tutorials/Objective-C-Essential-Training/77860-2.html

8. Mark FX macrumors regular

Mark FX

Always buy the latest version of books, because the Xcode developer tools do change over time, and also new Cocoa Touch frameworks are introduced into the IOS SDK's.

Also you don't have to pay for any tutorials, just use the free ones linked to below, to get you started, and also find out if this programming game is for you.

http://www.raywenderlich.com/tutorials

Regards Mark

9. nghelam2008 macrumors newbie

You can learn online. It's easy and step by step. I'm also new iPhone beginner. I love programming. I know a great online course for beginner. My new blog: 365makemoneyonline.blogspot.com

10. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

No, you can't just dive into iOS development. iOS doesn't lend itself to the kinds of simpler programs that you'll be writing when you first learn (command line programs without a proper GUI.)

Plus Apple requires you to pay $100/year just to install things on your own iOS devices, whereas you can install your own programs on your Mac for free.

Finally, there's a variety of languages you can use to program your Mac. There are much fewer that you can use to program on iOS. Arguably, the ones available on iOS are trickier for beginners to pick up as a first programming language. (IDK, none of the current languages actually used in production strike me as much harder or easier than the others. Looking at some languages that no one really uses though... there are definitely dramatically more tricky languages out there that nobody uses.)

11. ChrisA macrumors G4

You could just jump in with xcode and IOS but then you would have to take time out to learn the parts you skipped.

Same with doing graphics with vectors yes you can do it without ever taking the linear algebra class but you'd have to stop and study matrix arithmetic on your own before you'd have any clue about how to move or rotate a wire frame object. You can skip all the class but you can skip over what you need to know

For example in IOS what if an API function requires you give it a pointer to a linked list. They typically cover this is a second semester class called "data structures". You can skip that class but yo can't get the job done without knowing how to manipulate lists and what pointers are.

It is actually quicker to start at the beginning and learn basic programming at the command line prompt. Programs can be very simple and you get to learn one thing at a time.

12. MrMister111, Aug 23, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2013

MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68000

Any courses for complete beginners in UK to attend?

Someone linked me to this site
    www.codecoalition.com

It's a complete beginners course, runs for 3 months, uses videos, PDFs, online help. It's $100. You need to dedicate at least 10 hours a week they say.

Anyone heard of it/them? They've been doing it as actual classes in the US but 1st time online.

13. 1458279 Suspended

typo :D www not wee.

This site looks good and probably a fair price, but it looks like it assumes you have a programming background.

I'd grab a book on computer programming, understand selection, loop, iteration, then syntax, data types, and other concepts.

If you try to jump over the basics, you might find it harder than it needs to be.

Kinda like writing a book without understanding verbs, nouns, etc...

14. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

Let me broaden your horizons.

15. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68000

What typo!?' ;)
    It states no previous programming knowledge required at all though. I've asked via email as well with this response.
    ""This is the first run of our course online, but it is not the first run ever. We've been teaching in NYC for over a year and have done the three month course with New Yorkers.

We've been the course for the working man. You can complete the lectures and projects on your own time. Though the course is meant to be completed in three months, you'll have four months total. No problem about having no programming experience. Most of our students have been absolute beginners. You'll do fine.

For the format, you'll get videos, readings, discussions, projects and assignments. You can download them if you want. ""

I've seen iTunes U, looks good but its very in depth and not for complete beginners it looks like to me

16. 1458279 Suspended

Well, $100 is very fair, so I'd say give it a try. Personally, I like to read books and with Amazon, you can usually see the date and the TOC, which gives a lot of insight.

Example: After you've gone thru a few good books, it becomes hard to find more advanced books or books that don't cover the same stuff you already know.

Basically, $100 is near the cost of a good book (or at least what they used to be) so I'd give it a run based on price alone.

if you do, post a reply telling us how good it is, we get a lot of these questions.

17. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68000

Any book recommendations then?

They are saying you'll need 10 hours a week, obviously more being better. With my lifestyle busy busy at moment not sure if can allocate this, I'd love to be able to, but they say you can keep the material and work through later. It's more to discuss with others at same time on course I believe

18. 1458279 Suspended

I'd probably start with some kind of generic programming book. Start with the goal of understanding programming logic and data types.

Example: An integer type is very different from a date type. Understand things like strings, arrays, etc... Understand things like parameters and function/method calls.

After you understand these kind of things, learn OOP (Object Oriented Programming)... Be able to explain the difference between a Class and an Object. Understand how to add (extend) to a class.

Think of it like learning to drive a stick. You'd be best to understand a clutch, gears, upshift, downshift, basic engine functions, etc... This will help so you don't get stuck on some concept you've never heard of before.

19. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68000

Well I've signed up to Code Coalition. Not sure if its the right thing, purely because of the time constraints from my end. As you say it's cost $100 (£65), which is price of couple of books, you get to download the videos and materials they say to keep for ever so I can learn at my own pace if I miss the 3 month deadline suppose m

It doesn't start until Oct so suppose I could install Xcode now and have a mess?

Cheers for replies

20. Giuly, Aug 30, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2013

Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

Introduction to Computing and Programming from MIT doesn't sound like it has lots of prerequisites (and by that I mean for an university course on computer science), nor does Computer Science 10 from Berkeley.

Stanford has the greatest course ever made on iPhone programming, iPhone Application Development, it's just a little outdated by now as it was made by the time the iPad was first introduced. Basic principles still apply, though.

As far as "coding for Apple" is concerned, how about Objective C for Dummies? People complain that it's not comprehensive enough, so it sounds suitable for absolute beginners and may or may not work as a prerequisite to iPhone Application Development.