Any CR-48 users out there?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Tilpots, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

I'm looking to pick up one of these Chromebooks and have some questions I hope you can answer. My only use for this will be the internet. I'm set on this and do not want a tablet or full fledged laptop, especially for the price I'm getting on one... which leas me to my first question:

Being the second owner of the device, will I be able to create a new account on it and if so, how? I've yet to find the definitive source for the CR-48, so any links would be appreciated.

Given that all I want to do is web browse, will this perform equally as well as a tablet or laptop with the same connection speed?

I've heard the new software updates have improved the trackpad. How would you describe it's usability?

And finally, do you like it and would you recommend it as a solid web browsing machine capable of the same task for several years?

Please feel free to give any other anecdotes, opinions or tips on the CR-48 here, too. MR hasn't had many discussions about it so I'm sure others will appreciate it as much as I do. Thanks!

2. aaronchow macrumors regular

I am pretty sure you can create a second account. My work bought several of them off eBay, and when they gave one to me, it was already setup with my account information.

I used it for web only as well, but my company runs Google Apps, so I don't have too much experience accessing other webpages since my company blocks off some sites.

And after the update, I still hate the control pad. The scrolling is better, but physically it is too small for my taste and it requires you to really push it hard in order to register it as a click.

3. Tilpots thread starter macrumors 601

Tilpots

I've heard the trackpad complaints but I thought most if the issues were cleared up. Guess there's more work to be done. How is your office doing overall? Will you guys stay in the Chromebook realm? Is the web browsing experience good enough for everyday use?

Thanks for the response, too. I won't have to invest a bunch to get one of these, but I'd rather know ahead of time if I'm wasting my money.

4. aaronchow macrumors regular

Yeah, we have invested a lot of time on Google Apps, so we will be sticking with it for awhile. The only complaint I have is that it doesn't have a file system, so there are times that I need to boot up my regular laptop to do the work.

Regarding the web experience, it is pretty smooth. I can't access YouTube (or other video streaming service), but I hears it has problem rendering HD videos.