Any cracked iPhone 4's yet? here's mine...

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by tennismanclay, Jul 2, 2010.

1. tennismanclay macrumors regular

tennismanclay

So, bought iphone tuesday at at&t, really liked it, no reception issues. Didn't get a case because i was going to order an otterbox. Few hours ago i was helping teach on the tennis court, and about half the phone was sitting on my towel, picked up my towel and it fell about a foot off the bench onto the tennis court. It landed on its back and completely shattered. I was so stunned because my 3g iphone i had dropped more than 5 times from 3 times that height with no case until i got an otterbox and it was fine. Luckily it was only the back, but still, I thought they used like extremely durable airplane glass or something, i'm not exaggerating when i say it fell literally one foot.

Anyway of getting the back replaced, or am i just screwed? :/

Attached Files:

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I'm sorry to hear that, but yeah, Apple won't replace the back for free.

3. tennismanclay thread starter macrumors regular

tennismanclay

Will they replace it for 30 bucks? or is it like 100 bucks? any idea?

4. outphase macrumors 65816

Out-of-warranty replacements are $199.

5. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

$199. I don't believe there's a replacement thing, they just give you a new (or refurb) phone and take your old one.

But I believe replacing the back takes a minute...and parts should be like $50.

6. tennismanclay thread starter macrumors regular

tennismanclay

So i could go to an apple store, and get a new/refurb 32gb for $199, without paying $500 or whatever since technically now im not eligible for an upgrade? And you said out of warranty? dont I have some kind of 30 day warranty or something?

This was kinda my real question, are you saying I could buy the "back" piece somehow, and open it up and install it myself for under 50 bucks?Where would i get the part, and what about the camera and the flash??

7. bobright macrumors 601

what ended up happening man, u try taking it to Apple?

sorry for your loss id feel shattered ( pun intended) if it happened to mine lol

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

$199 out of warranty repair.
    Or you can hope to find a good Apple rep that would swap it for free.

9. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

You know OP I heard there are websites offering backs that are very cheap and its easy to replace the back, ive seen it in a few threads on here. Look around.

Also there is obviously suspicion that Apple cheated us with the glass by just putting this "Gorilla Glass" on the front.

10. appleguy123 macrumors 604

appleguy123

Yes, you give them your old iPhone and $200 and they will replace it. No, you have a 1 year warranty but it does not cover accidental damage.
    They said that it was on the front and the back.

11. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

iPhone repair people will be making a killing of the iPhone 4

my 99 cent silicone case from eBay will hold me until I find the case I want

its only 4 steps to replacing the back?? I guess the front is the hard part

12. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

That's the glass only, not the frame around it, which would be the hard part. Wait for someone to sell thw whole back piece, then replace it.

and two OT questions:
    If you use the out of warranty $199 replacement, do you have the remainder of your original warranty on your new unit (like it is for free warranty replacements)?
    And would replacing the back void your warranty? Or would Apple never know?

13. tennismanclay thread starter macrumors regular

tennismanclay

14. gouda272 macrumors regular

For 15 bucks its worth the try. Since you just bought the phone you should get squaretrade insurance or something. Only approx 90.00 for 2 years of coverage(see the many threads on it.) This would have cost you 50.00 deductable to send to them to fix.

15. Cynikal.Mindset macrumors 6502a

you need more than just the cheap glass piece, you also need the bezel part which comes with the camera lens bezel and the part that the screws go into. a complete back glass with bezel is around $170 give or take unless you can salvage all the stuff off your cracked piece then a $15 ebay glass replacement will suffice. If you can salvage the pieces off the old cracked glass you can use those for the cheap glass replacement and get a white one if inclined to do so.

16. Surely Guest

Surely

Make an appointment at the Genius Bar. I've seen one or two threads here about people getting the back replaced for free. It's worth a shot......

17. SophiaLee macrumors 6502a

SophiaLee

I broke my back glass too. OMG I'm so pissed. It only fell maybe a foot and a half.

Made an appt w/ a genius tomorrow. I guess I'll see how that goes. :(

18. Hoppesangen macrumors member

Glass is glass and will break no matter what.

19. Surely Guest

Surely

Even if I lick it?

20. db67fm macrumors regular

db67fm

21. SophiaLee macrumors 6502a

SophiaLee

Well I didn't drop mine very far. Less than two feet for sure. I bent down to tie my shoes, it slipped out of my pocket, landed flat on it's back, and BOOM...shattered. Maybe a foot, foot and a half at best.

I put a Invisible Shield over the back to keep it from cutting my hand, which is barely sticking to it btw.

This guy says Apple is replacing them for free for the time being. I have an appt at 5, guess I'll see if it's true.

http://tnerd.com/2010/06/30/iphone-4-glass-its-not-hardstiff-enough-if-it-breaks/

22. bfar5 macrumors member

geez. I really feel for ya. I dropped my 3gs and it had a nasty gash on its beauticious face... ran over to Apple to give them 200.00 to fix it... then got an otterbox where she stayed. I have an IP4 now but I thought it was made out of some shatterproof glass????? Holy crap... Is that a load of crap as well? I guess this one is going in an otterbox.

23. SophiaLee macrumors 6502a

SophiaLee

Well they wouldn't fix mine for free. Said it'd be $199 and the guy said,"It's a glass phone, it's gonna break easily, that's why I didn't buy one.".

Oh well, guess I'll just wait till the screen breaks too then pay the $199 since it's still completely usable in a case. Hopefully that won't happen tho.