Any current owners of MBP upset over the matte display

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by maflynn, Aug 11, 2009.

1. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

As the title states, now (finally) apple provides an option for a matte display, is anyone ticked off that they offered one now after you plunked down $$$ to get a glossy screen?

I'm a tad perturbed but since I don't have any money, its a moot point. My late 08 unibody MBP is a solid computer and while the glossy screen isn't as bad is some people make it out, I still would have preferred a matte display.

2. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Well.. I bought the gf a MBP with a glossy screen just two weeks back, I would have chosen a matte option had there been one at the time (because I've had a matte screen for a couple of years now)..

Oddly enough, I've totally u-turned this past week. The glossy screen really does give a better experience with colours which for me is top prio in considering a screen option where there is one. I have a MBP purchase for myself coming up soon, and I'll definitely not think twice about going for the glossy screen.

3. highertechnology macrumors 6502

Not at all. I appreciate the additional options for those who prefer the matte screen. Personally, I am in love with the glossy screen.

4. GeJohnO macrumors newbie

Honestly, I don't have any problems with the glossy like some others on here seem to. I also think it fits better with the UB build.

5. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

Nope. From what I have seen, the matte option RUINS the looks of the MBP!

6. ryannazaretian macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

I feel bad about this option because the UMBP was a replacement machine for 4 month old matte MBP. I also dislike the fact that this screen catches dust inside and out. I have a few specks showing up under the screen.

7. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    I've just now seen a picture of the matte uMBP.

It's a turd.

8. sammy2066 macrumors 6502a

Not me, I love the glossy display and I've gotten used to it now. The new one looks out of place, and downright bad.

9. atticus18244fsa macrumors 6502

atticus18244fsa

This is what anybody who actually sits down and uses a glossy screen will do. They act like it's the end of the world using a glossy screen and try to be difficult, yet they end up liking it.

10. Swiss Apple macrumors member

Swiss Apple

If the matt option trickles down to the 13" MBP then I would be slightly cheezed off at having not had the option.

11. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

Nobody should be that upset about this. You didn't have any problem throwing down $1000+ for the glossy a few months ago. If a matte screen was THAT important to you, you should have never bought the glossy screen in the first place. You can also buy anti reflective coatings for the screens which do help a lot.

People who are upset about this are the same people who get upset that they bought a new laptop a month ago, and then apple refreshes them. Technology and companies are going to continue to update their products and they are not going to wait around to do so at your individual convenience. If you buy something, make sure you are going to be satisfied with the purchase and price even if they upgrade the product tomorrow. Technology will be forever changing, and if you aren't happy with that, perhaps you should just stay away from computers all together.

12. dvin macrumors member

^^ agreed. i was upset matte wasn't an option when i purchased my MBP, but if i had the choice now i would buy the glossy again.

13. Swiss Apple macrumors member

Swiss Apple

Maybe they should have bought a Dell instead :rolleyes:

14. AnotherFanBoy macrumors regular

I am buying my MBP this week and I will most certainly be choosing the glossy. I think the silver bezel looks ugly and I much prefer how the colors look on the glossy screen.

However, I don't think anyone can moan about this. If you paid for a glossy screen, you accepted you were going to get a glossy screen. Just because they now provide matte screens, doesn't take anything away from your purchase. It is the same argument as when people buy a laptop and then moan when a new one comes out.

15. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

iThink a poll is in order, however. There are def. those that are going to be upset, especially those that ultimately choose the 17-inch solely because of the matte display.

16. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

could have bought an older apple computer, a refurb, or could have waited for a non glossy option to come out from apple. If matte was a deciding factor in your purchase, you would not have bought a glossy display. If you did buy glossy, don't be mad now, as it obviously wasn't a deal breaker for you 3 months ago, and shouldn't be now.

17. OutSpoken macrumors 6502a

Although I own a 13", absolutely no grievance over here:D

I'm happy with my glossy...and given the option would have STILL went for the glossy over matt.

But at least now, there will be less moaning from people who wanted it. :rolleyes:

18. Ploki macrumors 68010

probably 1/2 of MR MBP UB owners will now start whining how apple screwed them over.
    i was working on the seaside a while ago, very very annoying, but not impossilbe.
    how ever alt+cmd+ctrl+8 was very handy.. ;)
    im not upset at all, i dont think id get one anyway..

19. nws0291 macrumors 6502

I don't have any issues with the glossy and I actually prefer it too. I don't like the way they added the silver bezel around the screen.

20. omizzle macrumors regular

When did they start offering this? I ordered my uMBP 15" last Thursday and I didn't see this option.

I recieved my uMBP yesterday and I love it, I don't have any complaints about the glossy screen...I don't even use it on full brightness,its too bright haha

also, where can I see a pic of the 15" antiglare MBP?

21. AnotherFanBoy macrumors regular

this morning by all accounts.

congratulations, it's good that you are happy with what you got

it will look exactly the same as the 17" does.

22. davivi23 macrumors newbie

no problems with the glossy here. loving my MBP

23. redshovel macrumors 6502

redshovel

Glad to see apple has decided to keep the 'Matte Moaners' happy at last. Still love the glossy screens and would never go back to matte, but choice is always good as not everyone has the same needs.

PS - think the silver bezel is turd looking.

24. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Don't see how matte displays are better. A matte finish blurs the screen slightly, if that is helpful for professionals and graphic designers, then so be it. But I have comfortably used my MBP with a window-wall behind me and not reflections at all. And fluorescent lights above head. You only notice reflections if you go looking for them. Most of the time you focus not the reflections but what you are doing (Photoshop, Word, Safari, Mail, iTunes, etc).

25. redshovel macrumors 6502

redshovel

Agree with all of the above. I think matte is a step backwards but some ppl feel very strongly about it. Just wish they had 'matted' the 13 MBP as well to end once and for all any talk about the issue.