Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Evofreak23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2010
Hi guys! Im currently using an iphone 6 and will be upgrading to iphone 8. I just want to ask if there are any cyclist here with an iPhone 8 plus. Im thinking of going to iPhone 8 plus this time but im worried if it would be too big to fit in a cycling jersey. Thanks everyone.

Evofreak23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2010
I have had every Plus since the 6 and they fit in a standard road bike jersey pocket just fine.
Thats great to know! Im curious as well how it will hold up in mountainbike trails. Most of my riding is mountainbike.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I have biked with my 6s+ ... got one of those dashboard holder type things with the rubber bands on each corner and side clamps - that works the best. Then I can have Strava going while I bike. My jersey has massive pockets in the back that also work as well but the phone gets pretty warm and wet cuz I'm usually sweating my fat ass off so I got the mount for it instead.

Reactions: AJsAWiz

enduro0125

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2012
Original plus owner here.
I just “upgraded” to a regular 8.

Although the plus did work in all my cycling jerseys,I like the smaller size of the 8.
Being waterproof also means no more plastic baggies.

macTW

Suspended
Oct 17, 2016
Original plus owner here.
I just “upgraded” to a regular 8.

Although the plus did work in all my cycling jerseys,I like the smaller size of the 8.
Being waterproof also means no more plastic baggies.
This.

Thanks to their 7 and 7plus commercials, I now feel better about riding with it exposed to the elements.

TitsLegendary

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2013
Been using a Quadlock since the 6 Plus and like it, but the rokform looks pretty good too.
One of the great things about the Rokform is that it has a big old magnet in there so you can mount your phone all over the place. The downside is that it makes it so you can't use the QI charging with the new 8/8+. I ended up taking the magnet out so I can still use the mount and the QI charging at the same time.

wcroadie

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2013
Philly PA
This.

Thanks to their 7 and 7plus commercials, I now feel better about riding with it exposed to the elements.
That's always been my fear since I stopped using the bulky otterbox cases when I had a 5s. I currently keep my 6 in a sandwich baggie when I ride, lol. Probably gonna get a 7+ soon.

joefrank64k

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
That's always been my fear since I stopped using the bulky otterbox cases when I had a 5s. I currently keep my 6 in a sandwich baggie when I ride, lol. Probably gonna get a 7+ soon.

Slightly OT, but I swim with my 7+all the time. Holds up just fine, so of course it’s just fine in inclement weather on a bike or run. I didn’t realize how great a feature water-resistance is until now, haha!!

Vundu

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2009
Manchester, UK
I have biked with my 6s+ ... got one of those dashboard holder type things with the rubber bands on each corner and side clamps - that works the best. Then I can have Strava going while I bike. My jersey has massive pockets in the back that also work as well but the phone gets pretty warm and wet cuz I'm usually sweating my fat ass off so I got the mount for it instead.

Not really good for bombing down the trail mountain biking.

Buddhake

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2016
I have been a 6+/6s+/7+/8+ cyclist and they do fit fine in the jersey pocket, but the game changer for me has been the new Apple Watch with LTE - no more phone at all... it's delightful to not have to worry, and still be able to call 911 should something horrible happen. I realise this is an iPhone topic, but the watch with LTE has been liberating as a cyclist.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Evofreak23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2010
I have been a 6+/6s+/7+/8+ cyclist and they do fit fine in the jersey pocket, but the game changer for me has been the new Apple Watch with LTE - no more phone at all... it's delightful to not have to worry, and still be able to call 911 should something horrible happen. I realise this is an iPhone topic, but the watch with LTE has been liberating as a cyclist.

Great to know apple watch is capable of that but im not really into watch. Reason i want to get the plus this time is i like taking photos of the nature in the trail.

Reactions: wcroadie

wcroadie

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2013
Philly PA
The new watch with LTE is a great idea, my wife txts me all the time when I am surfing and then asks why I tool so long to respond :) At least I could reply and tell her I am still alive, lol. The idea of listening to music on a run or ride without using phone sounds great as well, but 1. I don't want to pay for LTE, 2. I use spotify and don't want to pay for apple music 3. I am not a huge fan of the apple watch and like my garmin fenix 3HR much better. But the idea is a great one.
[doublepost=1508526371][/doublepost]
Slightly OT, but I swim with my 7+all the time. Holds up just fine, so of course it’s just fine in inclement weather on a bike or run. I didn’t realize how great a feature water-resistance is until now, haha!!
Hmmm, so I could stuff it in my wetsuit when surfing...

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Hi guys! Im currently using an iphone 6 and will be upgrading to iphone 8. I just want to ask if there are any cyclist here with an iPhone 8 plus. Im thinking of going to iPhone 8 plus this time but im worried if it would be too big to fit in a cycling jersey. Thanks everyone.
You could keep your old phone and get the new Apple Watch with GPS and Cellular. I use it to track running with no issues and no need to fit it in a pocket.

nilk

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2007
I love the RAM X-Grip mount. It has a solid grip of the phone and I'm not worried about it flying off (people even used these kind of mounts on motorcycles). Though I'm not clear on which size is better for the Plus (I have a non-plus).

enduro0125

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2012

But it still will not auto pause.

Huge FAIL for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.