Any danger buying AppleCare from third-parties??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by KettyKrueger, Aug 13, 2009.

1. KettyKrueger macrumors 6502

KettyKrueger

Hi All,

Just had my MBP for a few weeks and I'm thinking of buying AC.

Apple are selling it for around £280 but it can be had on Amazon.co.uk for £150. Do I need to be weary about buying from a third-party? It's a company selling it, not an individual.

Also, is AC even worth buying in the first year? I've done a bit of reading and it seems that AC will extend the phone care from 90 days to 3 years, but not much else (compared to the standard 1 year warranty). Obviously, after 1 year, the AC will kick in.

Thanks.

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

eBay - Danger
    Amazon - No Danger
    L.A. Computer - No Danger

As long as you are getting a box you should be fine.

3. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

AS long it is not empty!:D

4. phoobo macrumors regular

The danger is buying AC in the first place

...since Apple Care, like most extended warranty contracts on electronics, is a pretty bad deal, statistically speaking. These are huge moneymakers for manufacturers and retail stores, and there's a reason for that.

Still I know -- peace of mind, etc. Lots of people think its a good idea.

At least wait till your year runs out. The highest likelihood of warranty-covered failure will happen in the first year anyway. Why not just see how you feel at the end of that year?

Or you could take the 280 quid and buy a new, nice OS X-ready netbook as a backup. (Or half of one for 150.)

5. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

The ONLY ones that think it is a nice idea are the few that actually use it to get repairs/replacements. Ask all the other people that spent $300+ and didn't need it are UNHAPPY.

You are correct- statistically it is a deal. Things usually go wrong within the first year or after four statistically speaking.

If I had purchased an Apple Care on all of my Apple machines I have owned I would have spent about $2,000 and I have not had ANY need for a covered repair- everything that has gone wrong (2 things) has been after four years!

6. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I have used Apple Care for repairs that have been valued way over what I paid for. I bought it for my iPod Video, didn't use it. For notebooks I see some warranty as a must.

7. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

I dont' see why a notebook warranty is a must? THey don't cover if you drop it carrying it around so why is it any different than a desktop? I guess there is some jarring around and such moving it around that would not show up to Apple as user abuse so perhaps it is slightly more important on a laptop...but again, companies offer these to make money- lots of money~!!!!

I have owned or used four laptops and none have required repair (hoping I don't jinx:eek: myself- I just ordered a MacBook Pro 15" 12 hours ago!!!!):D

8. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I haven't had any massive logic board failures, rather little things like power chargers and batteries. Notebooks get beat up a lot. Even if they don't cover it from when you drop it ten feet, the general nature of failure is increased with every trip out.

9. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

eBay is only a danger with some sellers. There's an extensive thread here that covers the experiences of many, many buyers on eBay and you should read it and judge for yourself. Apple considers the box as the allmighty and final proof of ownership of applecare, so look for a seller who includes the box and hang onto that box for dear life, even after apple "registers" it.

10. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I have bought Applecare for my MBP for peace of mind, and for the fact that if anything does go wrong, the costs of repair will be met, costs which will, in all liklihood, far exceed the cost of Applecare itself. I agree with thegoldenmackid; for a notebook, - given their cost - some sort of warranty is a must.

To the OP, I'd recommend getting Applecare, and would also recommend getting it from a reputable seller, ergo I'd give eBay a wide berth.

Cheers and good luck

11. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

And only some mushrooms are poisonous. There is no reason to take chances when you can get a discount from places that are known to be reliable.

12. mperkins37 macrumors 6502a

mperkins37

Apple resellers should be no problem, Stay away from ebay & Craigslist though, just asking for it there.

13. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

It seems like Craigslist would provide some security.

14. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

For some buyers, the savings is worth the potential "risk". One for you, one for the doctor (oh, wait, that is mushrooms... ;) )

15. donuttakedonuts macrumors regular

Applecare box from apple, brand new, is "empty".

16. jdechko macrumors 68040

Possibly, but the only way to know if the AppleCare is legit is to activate it. At least with Amazon or LA Computer, there's a business entity that should (conceivably) stand behind the products they sell.

17. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

You could meet somewhere where you could activate it on the spot.