Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimckimmel

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 9, 2009
This may be a dumb question, but I want to make sure as I'm getting ready to sell my MacBook Pro. Before I ship it, I want to do a secure erase and clean install of Lion, but want to make sure that if I do that, none of my info (Apple ID, etc) is stored on the Recovery Partition.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!

Jim

musty345

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2010
United Kingdom
Nop, I'm sure there isn't, as I understand, the recovery partitions on macs don't contain any personal data on them.

I think that this is so that your recovery partition never gets corrupted so if you need to restore, you can do. A simple reinstall of Lion should do the trick :)

jimckimmel

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 9, 2009
That makes sense. Just wanted to make sure - I know the recovery partition installer asks for the AppleID to verify the download, but wasn't sure if that would still be present once the clean install was done...

Jim

musty345

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2010
United Kingdom
Just make sure you don't sign in onto your mac into iCloud or anything else after the Lion restore, and if you want some extra peace of mind, try having a look at iTunes/the app store and make sure that you're not logged in.

It might also be worth deauthorising your mac on iTunes before restoring, so that you don't go over your 5 computer limit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.