Any deals on AppleCare

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Me1000, Dec 25, 2008.

1. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

So are there any good deals on Apple Care for the MacBook Pro right now?

Amazon has it for $300

Anyone know of any place better?

2. Solemony macrumors 6502

Solemony

Did you check eBay..?

3. Mercellus macrumors regular

You could purchase it off of eBay. My girlfriend bought me the AppleCare warranty for Christmas and it was off eBay, saved $150.00.

4. ryannazaretian macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

If you're a student in college, then you can get an education discount.
    education.apple.com

5. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

Check your college bookstore. $239 for Macbook Pro.

6. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Take a college ID to the nearest Apple Store and the going rate is $239-$249, or checkout EB...

7. pj- macrumors member

Do they treat you any differently when you get the education applecare? When I called applecare a week after I got my mbp, it said something like "press 1 if this call is regarding an education product."

Also, is there any risk to buying applecare from ebay?

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

No they don't and that question is if you're a school.

9. tenhead macrumors regular

How are they able to sell them at lower price at ebay? How do these people acquired the applecare? Are they the same as buying from Apple?

10. spacecadet610 macrumors 6502

i've bought applecare 4 times off of ebay at a significant discount. never had any problems

11. doug in albq Suspended

doug in albq

12. Beau10 macrumors 6502a

I have to imagine they do it by buying large volumes of licenses for corporate or edu distribution.

I bought my MBP Applecare from ebay for $204. With the live.com discount it came out to just over $150. I didn't get a box or paperwork, just a license key. I submitted it to Apple, it took 4 days to register.

When you get right down to the legality of it it likely is a grey market thing, but something that Apple just isn't taking the steps to thwart. I believe I've seen some reports on the forum of people being asked for the original purchase receipt when bringing their machine in for service, but in the end they are always serviced. You can just say you misplaced it.

13. nippyjun macrumors 65816

Another option to applecare is squaretrade warranty. When i called squaretrade to discuss getting a warranty for my macbook they said that they use the same repair centers that apple does. Take that for what it's worth as they wanted me to buy the warranty, but it is possible.

I did get it one from them with the accidental damage protection all for 3 years for $200 with 50% off coupon. I believe the discount is through the end of the year.

14. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Ebay, always Ebay. Its about $130 (£85) on there. They emailed me the code, put it in, worked perfect.

15. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

But SquareTrade doesn't have the Genius Bar.

16. rising j macrumors member

wow...I was going to do an edu discount until you guys started talking about ebay...damn that's such a better deal. :D

17. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

If buying from a third party, make sure you get the exact part number. There's a difference in price for the MB vs. MBP Applecare coverage.

I mentioned the cheaper alternatives the other day in an Apple store in Tigard, OR. and the sales guy checked with this manager after googling other prices for Applecare, and the manager told him that he'd sell Applecare to me for the educational price of $239, and I had them write it down on the back of a card, saying it's good as long as my computer is still within the original warranty period. I guess it doesn't hurt to bring up the cheaper prices online.

18. Bob-o-Link macrumors newbie

19. micsaund macrumors 6502

micsaund

I'll offer another vote for Ebay. I got my early 2007 MBP AppleCare for around $200 IIRC. The code was e-mailed to me and I activated it online at Apple with no issues at all. The only thing I was missing from my previous retail purchase of AC for my G4 PB years ago was the cardboard box and diagnostics DVD. The DVD is downloadable from Apple as long as your Mac is under warranty.

Check the feedback of the seller you're looking at and make sure the feedback mentions that they bought AppleCare/etc. and you feel comfortable buying from them, of course. But, it's a fantastic way to save money on the very expensive warranty IMO.

Mike

20. jon08 macrumors 65816

^^ +1, I got my MBP AppleCare off eBay for $160 about a month ago! Great deal!

21. TheSVD macrumors 6502a

TheSVD

i bought my applecare with my unibody MBP with the higher education discount, and it cost me £50 :D

22. S-Man macrumors regular

S-Man

I have an Amazon Gold Box deal for Applecare for $284. I thought that was a deal, but looks like I'll be hitting up ebay!

23. cubedweller macrumors 6502

eBay FTW!

I purchased AC on Saturday from eBay for my MBP. The 'Buy it Now' price was $159. It worked/registered perfectly.

24. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Damn AppleCare on eBay got cheap!! I spent $200 on mine a few months back on eBay.

25. kgeier82 macrumors 65816