Any deep-sleep tips?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MBX, Feb 25, 2009.

1. MBX macrumors 65816

Usually I wake up around 8am every time and have no need for an alarm clock which is great.

But lately I'm waking up way too early. Not that my sleep is that good in general but waking up around 6 am or sooner leaves me tired for the whole day and I'm a bit useless.

Anybody got some tips for a deep good sleep? Any natural sleep products to consider?

2. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

I need some tips too, I rarely sleep through the whole night without waking up. :(

3. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

I find that valerian root knocks me out and puts me into a much deeper sleep than I get usually. I wake up feeling much better. Helps me sleep through the night when I'm having issues. I usually take 3-4 tablets. I get mine at a local herb store (my best friend is an acupuncturist/herbologist, so she's the one who told me about the store), though I imagine its available elsewhere as well.

But remember, you don't want to rely on any sleep aid. If there are other causes (like an uncomfortable mattress, noisy environment, too much light, etc) you need to fix those.

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I had to take a beta blocker last year and that knocked me right out.

Putting a blind up, making sure it's as quiet as can be in the morning can all help. Exercise does too. I'll get a full 8 hours sleep after going for a 5 mile walk where I normally have 7.

5. schizoidwoman macrumors regular

On top of a steep hill in West Yorkshire.
    +1 for valerian root. I had trouble sleeping due to a serious illness a few years ago and valerian was definitely helpful. I still have the occasional issue with sleep and valerian always sorts it out. As Strider42 says though, make sure you are in comfortable surroundings that are conducive to rest too.

6. sn00pie macrumors 6502a

sn00pie

Do you guys spend alot of time in your bedrooms?

You have to basically teach your mind that when your in the bedroom (where your bed is) it's time to sleep. In other words, goto your bedroom only to sleep, do your homework, and computing somewhere else.

Don't exercise or do anything that will increase your body's arousal...by that I mean no exercising or lifting weights before sleep.

If you can't sleep within 10-20 minutes, get up and do something else until you feel sleepy.

This is one of the ways to treat Insomnia, but nothing is 100% proven of course.

7. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

I take 5-HTP and Folic Acid, which doesn't really help you get to sleep so much as just helps you stay asleep. Works great for me.

8. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

No food for at least 2 hours before bed, no caffeine drinks after midday, make your body work during the day and take steps to relax as bedtime approaches -such as no computing, spend half an hour before you want to go to bed sat quietly without distraction.
    Set your alarm to wake you at the same time every day(even day off) go to bed at same time each night in a calm clutter free environment .

9. followme macrumors regular

followme

I wish I could wake up on my own. I require multiple alarm clocks to give me a better chance of waking up.

I always feel tired... never feel like I got a good night's rest, even if I slept for 9 hours. I could sleep for 5, 7, 8, 9 or 11... I always feel like I didn't get enough sleep.

10. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

1) Do 30 mins of exercise a day

2) Drink 2 litres of water a day

3) Dont drink caffiene full stop

4) Dont have a TV/Computer in your bedroom (your brain stays active during sleep if you've been using a TV or Computer directly before and so you dont sleep as well, also if you keep a TV and Computer in your room your brain associates that room with a place to recreate and not a place to sleep, of course this effects different people in different ways).

11. Frisco macrumors 68020

A tempurpedic pillow will do the trick every time:)

12. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

Expecting to sleep through the night without awakening is unrealistic. It is natural to occasionally come to awareness after your first sleep cycle. It becomes a problem, though, when you start to worry about having awakened and think that you will not be able to go back to sleep. This used to happen to me the night before giving a big speech. I thought that I would not be able to go back to sleep and would be tired and screw up my presentation. But after having stayed awake all night and still delivering great presentations, I stopped worrying about sleep. Once I became OK with whatever was going to happen, I found that I would easily drift back to sleep. Sleep is not something you can force to happen, and trying to achieve it is almost guaranteed to keep you awake. Of course, if you have a mental condition like depression that can cause you to chronically awaken early and not be able to go back to sleep, you may want to consider seeing a mental health professional and possibly going on medication to resolve those issues.

13. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

My dog wakes me up at anytime between 7 am-8 am. I am not a morning person and sometimes if my dog was a person I would probably punch him in the face. :D

14. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

The biggest thing you will find to keep yourself sleeping longer is:

DARKEN THE ROOM!!!

Closing the blinds is not good enough. BLACK out the windows. Tinfoil, think cloth, etc.

Trust me. If you make your room a literal cave, you will sleep alot longer, harder, and deeper. Anytime you awake during sleep, your eyes see darkness, assume its still late/early and you fall right back asleep.

Obviously, this wont work for everyone, but try all you want, when the sun rises and brightens a room, its hard to sleep deeply.

15. CalPoly10 macrumors regular

I completely agree with this. I haven't had a very dark room for a while (moving around), but it really helps.

I don't believe in people taking pills or supplements to help them sleep. Something else is wrong. How could people have gotten this far without those pills?

Try exercising, eating healthier, drinking water, lower caffeine intake.