Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

furryrabidbunny

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 10, 2005
Mesa, AZ
I have a strange problem. Woke up today and a tooth of mine has turned black. I don't feel any pain... and I take great care of my teeth (honestly). I floss, brush, and use mouthwash. What could have caused this?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
An old girlfriend had a tooth die like this because she was pretty clumsy and kept knocking her teeth on her glass when she was drinking. Yeah, get it checked out. :(

furryrabidbunny

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 10, 2005
Mesa, AZ
mad jew said:
An old girlfriend had a tooth die like this because she was pretty clumsy and kept knocking her teeth on her glass when she was drinking. Yeah, get it checked out. :(
Damn... I was hoping nothing was wrong with it. Now I need to find a dentist that is open late enough for me.

adk

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2005
Stuck in the middle with you
Black tooth overnight? this intrigues me. I know it's a strange request, but I want pics!

My only advice would be a whole lot of whitening toothpaste!!!

edited for spelling

C

CompUser

Yea, it seems strange a tooth would turn black overnight.

My neighbor is a dentist. I'll ask him if I ever talk to him other than my teeth cleaning appointments.

Is it the entire tooth or just like a spot on it?

Spaceman Spiff

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2003
Have you been eating charcoal lately? Drinking black dye? Inhaling spray paint?

Those are my optimistic explanations.

My logical explanation is now it's inhabited by tiny tooth-dwelling aliens who have set up a base of operations there. Whatever you do, DO NOT get braces. For then they would wield a power far greater than they could have ever imagined.

Goodness gracious, I should get some sleep.

.Andy

macrumors 68030
Jul 18, 2004
The Mergui Archipelago
Dude go to the dentist! They'll fit you in straight away. My guess is that it's bleeding/undergoing necrosis on the inside thus giving the darkened colour. The quicker you seek professional advice (i.e. not on the internet!) the better chance you have of saving your tooth. In the long run if you leave it it can be quite hazardous for your health.

p.s. Good luck and let us know how it goes. Also pls post your x-rays!

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I woke up one morning to find half a tooth missing. Needless to say, I went straight to the dentist! It's all fixed now :)

Definitely go in, don't sit here asking us for advice! :eek:

cwedl

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2003
Xcat said:
Have you been eating charcoal lately? Drinking black dye? Inhaling spray paint?

Those are my optimistic explanations.

My logical explanation is now it's inhabited by tiny tooth-dwelling aliens who have set up a base of operations there. Whatever you do, DO NOT get braces. For then they would wield a power far greater than they could have ever imagined.

Goodness gracious, I should get some sleep.

Or red wine!

DMPDX

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2005
furryrabidbunny said:
I have a strange problem. Woke up today and a tooth of mine has turned black. I don't feel any pain... and I take great care of my teeth (honestly). I floss, brush, and use mouthwash. What could have caused this?
Just using "mouthwash" usually does nothing :( Unless the mouthwash contains floride youre basically filling your mouth with mint flavored water. As for the tooth, that does happen, as Ive seen it happen to my dad before. I am no dentist, but have grown up with them all of my life and am surrounded by them in my family ( My dad, aunt, unce, another uncle, cousin and my grandpa)
Most likely the tooth has been dead for a while, and is just starting to show evidence of that. But do tend to it quick, becasue you may not feel it now, but once that tooth cracks open, and the roots and nerves are exposed, you will NOT be a happy camper.
-dsm

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Nermal said:
I woke up one morning to find half a tooth missing. Needless to say, I went straight to the dentist! It's all fixed now :)

Same. They told me I grind my teeth when I sleep, which I never realised before that. Of course now I've had to give up sleeping. Meh, that's what MacRumors is for...

.Andy

macrumors 68030
Jul 18, 2004
The Mergui Archipelago
mad jew said:
Same. They told me I grind my teeth when I sleep, which I never realised before that. Of course now I've had to give up sleeping. Meh, that's what MacRumors is for...
I thought you slept in one of these mad jew :confused:?

17137dp6.jpg

;)

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
I got hit in a tooth and it turned black. You killed the nerves in the tooth. You will need surgery to remove it. At least I needed surgery to remove mine.

furryrabidbunny

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 10, 2005
Mesa, AZ
I don't think it's stained because it's not the whole tooth... seems like the inside of the tooth. I think its dead. I will seek dental attention as soon as I can... probably is my job sucks and I can't get time off to go (i need a different job). I hope it doesn't break on me... that would suck so much.

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
furryrabidbunny said:
I don't think it's stained because it's not the whole tooth... seems like the inside of the tooth. I think its dead. I will seek dental attention as soon as I can... probably is my job sucks and I can't get time off to go (i need a different job). I hope it doesn't break on me... that would suck so much.

Do *NOT* put it off. It could be the difference between saving and losing the tooth!

I had a filling fall out a few years ago, and instead of going immediately to the dentist and taking care of it, I decided I was too busy and would make an appointment the following week (after all, it didn't hurt). Several days later, the tooth just crumbled apart in my mouth. Needless to say, when I went to the dentist, there was nothing that could be done except for extraction. Now I've got a nice gap between my back molars. Luckily, it's not visible when I smile or talk, because it costs thousands of dollars to get a good permanent replacement (which insurance generally doesn't cover).

Go to the dentist ASAP.

Black&Tan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2004
iGav said:
I hate dentists. They're all sadistic f**kers.

Brings to mind the priceless portrayal of a sadistic dentist by Steve Martin in Little Shop of Horrors. Worth the price of admission for that one scene alone!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.