Any designers/programmers use the r15 as your only computer?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by xkmkmlmx, Nov 13, 2013.

1. xkmkmlmx macrumors newbie

I am looking into replacing my iMac for a retina 15. I need to be a bit more mobile and an iPad just doesn't cut it. I do a good amount of design and less so programming.

I don't have an external in my budget right now. Nor do I really want one. I am hoping to be able to do what I need with just the 15.

Anyone here use it for this successfully? Can you please share your experiences? Thank you!

2. mthos, Nov 13, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2013

mthos macrumors member

I use it for coding and database administration, Xcode/Visual Studio/MS SQL Server (obviously Parallels for VS/SQL) and I find it amazing, especially when I set Windows to 2880x1800, the screen real estate is just phenomenal. I find myself using it quite a bit over my desktop.

I do have my own desktop with a large 42" TV screen, but I have no problems coding on the 15" Retina at high resolutions and actually prefer it sometimes (the keyboard, trackpad and screen are so awesome).

edit: also use it for web development and samething, it works just fine for me..

3. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

I use the 15" as my only computer too and I'm a programmer.

I find it plenty powerful for my usage (it's more powerful that what I need currently). I use the 1920x1200 scaled resolution and it's been perfect. No lags aside from launchpad but I don't use that anyways.

At 1920x1200, the screen real estate you get is pretty awesome, you can have the Terminal, browser, and your IDEs/MacVim else side by side comfortably.

I tried the 2880x1800 native resolution but gave up after a day. The text is way too small and although everything is very clear and looks pretty nice, the readability suffers. 1920x1200 is much more comfortable.

I also use Pixelmator and am planning to get Final Cut because I'm planning on developing an iOS game and I know that this beast can perfectly handle that for many years to come.

4. bs-2010 macrumors member

I use Premiere Pro/Final Cut, Audition, Photoshop, Illustrator, Processing, Max, and Logic X regularly and it was plenty powerful enough for most tasks. That being said, in a few years when I can afford it I'll be getting a maxed out Mac Pro, but for now the Macbook is perfect.

5. -Eden macrumors member

-Eden

I use Office, electronics simulation in Windows 8 VM, CS6, LR5, and Xcode.The computer works flawlessly, with probably twice the power I need. Only issue is that I can't go back to non retina laptops :p.
    I have just installed AutoCad so I will see how that runs.

Everything but programming, I have the 1920x1200 resolution set. When I am programming, "Best for Retina" is used, so the text does not look funky.

This is my only computer, as I have it connected up to a ATD when I get home. That being said, I have 2 backup hard drives. Being a programmer/photo editor, I can't afford to lose my work :)

6. xkmxkmxlmx macrumors 6502a

xkmxkmxlmx

I am not so much worried about the power as I am about the screen size differential. Of course I know I will adapt, but if it is a hassle to work with multiple files and meticulous graphic work... I might have to look into other alternatives.

7. troop231 macrumors 603

I use Xcode along with CS6, and the 15" rMBP suits my needs quite nicely :)

8. jont-fu macrumors regular

I replaced my trusty old Mac Mini + 23" screen with a 15" rMBP about a week ago. The biggest problem with the laptop for me is ergonomics. If the laptop keyboard is at comfortable typing position, the screen will be too low. That caused neck strain and headache for me. Now I'm using my old full-size keyboard and magic mouse, and the laptop is raised about 5" higher than the keyboard. This setup is much better for my neck, though the screen is a bit far away now.

The 1680x1050 resolution feels best for me. I'm not missing my old 1920x1080 monitor as I always considered it to be too wide in proportion to the height. My work consists of web development but I run music and graphics software too.

9. xkmxkmxlmx macrumors 6502a

xkmxkmxlmx

Well, that is unfortunate. Obviously the ergonomics is a huge factor for me. Kinda disheartening.