Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eric8199

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2009
I still have my 17" 2011 MBP and have wiped it and restored and am loving it. I would certainly purchase a 2019 version
[doublepost=1544649104][/doublepost]

Plugging into an external monitor kind of defeats the purpose of a laptop or "mobile" computer.
I totally disagree. It means your portable computer can also replace a desktop. I have zero need for a desktop computer because my 15" MacBook Pro becomes one when I'm home, and yet I can take it with me and work on the go if I need to as well.

mandoman

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2005
My Early 2011 17" dGPU just died :-( I disabled the dGPU and it's limping along to hold me over until I can replace it.

I would buy another 17" in a heartbeat if a new version was available.

I've got a 15" MBP on order now. Tempted to cancel and try and hold out for next revision in hopes they release a 17", but don't think I can wait that long. Honestly, with declining Mac sales, I doubt Apple will release another 17". I would love to be surprised though.

Eric8199

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2009
My Early 2011 17" dGPU just died :-( I disabled the dGPU and it's limping along to hold me over until I can replace it.

I would buy another 17" in a heartbeat if a new version was available.

I've got a 15" MBP on order now. Tempted to cancel and try and hold out for next revision in hopes they release a 17", but don't think I can wait that long. Honestly, with declining Mac sales, I doubt Apple will release another 17". I would love to be surprised though.
I don't personally think we'll ever see another 17" laptop from Apple. The company's goal is smaller and more portable — we're lucky there's still a 15". I wouldn't hold out if you need a computer. There's not a single rumor indicating anything bigger is coming.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
I have to say, that LG Gram 17" (and many others) really shows us how little Apple is actually doing in terms of innovation/features/value on the laptops - at least in my opinion.

Apple are following a vision - I'll give them that - but they really aren't offering anywhere close to great value or features or any great all around laptop packages vs what is being shown as possible by a variety of PC Laptop makers these days.

If Apple were really pushing the Mac lineups forward, it could be incredible with Apple's resources, designers and engineers.

Martius

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
Prague, CZ
I have to say, that LG Gram 17" (and many others) really shows us how little Apple is actually doing in terms of innovation/features/value on the laptops - at least in my opinion.

Apple are following a vision - I'll give them that - but they really aren't offering anywhere close to great value or features or any great all around laptop packages vs what is being shown as possible by a variety of PC Laptop makers these days.

If Apple were really pushing the Mac lineups forward, it could be incredible with Apple's resources, designers and engineers.

Oh I have seen that LG Gram 17" yesterday and it looks really good (and it has 16:10 screen!). I wish it had 4K (I don't really need more than 8 hour of battery life). Well, LG Gram laptops are not available in my country, so I probably won't have a chance to buy one.

There is of course a market for a 17" laptop. With thin bezels and current technology, it could be almost as portable as 15" laptop. But of course it won't be selling as much as smaller / cheaper laptops. Too bad Apple is killing those niche products because they have smaller profits from the sales.

I said this on MR forums few months ago and I will say it again: Apple used to make niche products, Apple itself was a very specific kind of company, but they forgot about that. I like companies that are using profits from their mass selling products to support their niche products. Look at some car companies. Porsche is of course selling more basic 911s than 911 GT2s, but they are making both, because they love GT2 and it's tradition. They are not losing money on both cars, they are of course making profits from GT2, but they clearly care more about the heritage.

Sterkenburg

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2016
Japan
A 17” MBP with the current 15” hardware but more thermal headroom, a true 4k display, more ports and a solid keyboard is my computing pipe dream.

But we’re never going to see it, so I stopped caring long ago.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
I don’t know if apple would make a 17” laptop I would want. But yeah I’d love one.

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
I would say no, if I want a bigger screen I can just dock my computer and use my dual monitors. Monitors have improved greatly in quality and to me anything over 15” is too much.

Before becoming a heavier Mac user, I use to have a 17” windows laptop, and honestly 17” is just too large to use comfortably as a mobile workstation. I am fine with my 13” and if I upgrade I wouldn’t go bigger than 15” even if Apple offered the 17” option again.

psingh01

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
I'd definitely buy one. The last great Mac I had was a 17" MBP. I miss having all that screen Realestate on the go.

GirlinCali

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2019
Los Angeles,CA
Yup. my 2009 17" Macbook Pro is still kicking, bigger hard drive installed last summer cause i got tired of waiting for a new 17" and I hacked a few weeks ago to run High Sierra, so i'm good for awhile. I have a 2015 iMac to run my art projects, but my every day laptop is a 17" HP Envy (maxed out) which I love, and has a 10 key which i need. Still might buy an apple 17" but.... dont know if it will ever happen...

ugru

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2002
Caput Mundi
I'd buy one instantly if, and only if, it has/is:

- DCI-P3 HDR 120 htz screen;
- totally redesigned keyboard;
- touch bar optional;
- a little thicker (no more than 1 inch) to accomodate a bigger battery and better cooling to avoid thermal throttling;
- redesigned magsafe for power delivery, this will allow more power (120/150 W) for the CPU and the GPU;
- more powerful GPU (at least nVidia 2060 or comparable NAVI/VEGA AMD GPU);
- 1 USB-A, HDMI, SD card reader and 3 TB3 ports;
- Less than 3000€

Last edited:

Sterkenburg

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2016
Japan
I'd buy one instantly if, and only if, it has/is:

- DCI-P3 HDR 120 htz screen;
- totally redesigned keyboard;
- touch bar optional;
- a little thicker (no more than 1 inch) to accomodate a bigger battery and better cooling to avoid thermal throttling;
- redesigned magsafe for power delivery, this will allow more power (120/150 W) for the CPU and the GPU;
- more powerful GPU (at least nVidia 2060 or comparable NAVI/VEGA AMD GPU);
- 1 USB-A, HDMI, SD card reader and 3 TB3 ports;
- Less than 3000€
Agreed on the ideal specs, except that we are 100% not going to get the old ports again (and I don't think magsafe is going to make a comeback either). Less than 3000€ as a price is also pretty much impossible I feel, as the high-end 15" config already floats around the 5000€ mark.

I especially hope for a high-refresh rate display. It's fantastic on the iPad Pro, and the new Razer Blade Studio sporting one means it's possible for laptops as well.

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
There will definitely be a demand on here for one and I can totally understand why. Unfortunately I think those of us who post on this forum are already in a very niche category of Mac users and aren't representative of the wider public!

What's the biggest appeal of a new 17" MBP, maybe that would be a better question? The 15" provides a nice big screen already, so is the main wish for something which handles thermals better so can be pushed to its limit without throttling?

ugru

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2002
Caput Mundi
so is the main wish for something which handles thermals better so can be pushed to its limit without throttling?

That is why a thicker MBP is needed with better cooling and, incidentally, a bigger battery...

Furthermore, 87W is too little for the i7/i9 CPU and a decent GPU. Even the max allowed by USB-C (100W) is too little, the internals will be power starved and clock down or start using the internal battery....That is why other brands use 200/250W powerbricks...

If you have to redesign the power connector to provide more juice you might as well reintroduce magsafe which was pretty useful...

Last edited:
Reactions: ascender

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
That is why a thicker MBP is needed with better cooling and, incidentally, a bigger battery...

Furthermore, 87W is too little for the i7/i9 CPU and a decent GPU. Even the max allowed by USB-C (100W) is too little, the internals will be power starved and clock down or start using the internal battery....That is why other brands use 200/250W powerbricks...

If you have to redesign the power connector to provide more juice you might as well reintroduce magsafe which was pretty useful...

That's what I kind of thought, but with the current design, just making a bigger-screened version of the 15" presumably won't improve any of current limitations?

retta283

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 8, 2018
I honestly would take a MBP with the thickness of the 2008-12 unibodies if it mean it would not throttle. I'm sure the battery life would be stellar as well. But Apple is too stubborn to make it thicker.

This is another one of those threads I made at the end of last year that I forgot about, someone revived it and I ended up with 5 emails when I woke up...

Reactions: ascender

ugru

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2002
Caput Mundi
That's what I kind of thought, but with the current design, just making a bigger-screened version of the 15" presumably won't improve any of current limitations?

Not according to "leaked" info floating around....the alleged 16,5 new MBP is believed to be in the same chassis of the present 15" (more or less) with just reduced bezels, same body same thickness...

retta283

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 8, 2018
Not according to "leaked" info floating around....the alleged 16,5 new MBP is believed to be in the same chassis of the present 15" (more or less) with just reduced bezels, same body same thickness...
I don't believe it is possible to gain 1.1 in. of screen size just by shrinking bezels. It's probably gonna be like the size increase from the PowerBook G4 to MacBook Pro.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I use 2014 and 2015 MBPs as desktop replacements and a 17 would fit in just fine. I'm looking at 17 inch Mobile Workstations when I have to upgrade. These would be 17.3 inches, 4K screens, at least one-inch thick for airflow, 128 GB user-replaceable RAM, three to four user-replaceable SSDs, and lots of ports, old and new.

retta283

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 8, 2018
I use 2014 and 2015 MBPs as desktop replacements and a 17 would fit in just fine. I'm looking at 17 inch Mobile Workstations when I have to upgrade. These would be 17.3 inches, 4K screens, at least one-inch thick for airflow, 128 GB user-replaceable RAM, three to four user-replaceable SSDs, and lots of ports, old and new.
I just want the Unibody MBP back with the current screen tech.

Unrelated question(I am TC so whatever), how often do you use the PowerMac in your sig?

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire

Unrelated question(I am TC so whatever), how often do you use the PowerMac in your sig?

I have not turned it on for a few years. I mean to boot it up to get files off of it and will try to find a good home for it.

Queen6

macrumors G4

Same, I want my notebooks to be flexible, not restricted. The MBP should have a port solution that makes sense, strong performance without power or thermal restrictions both CPU & GPU and above all else reliable, all of which Apple is currently failing at...

Q-6

Reactions: retta283
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.