Any Detail request on iOS 8

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Jrobert94, Jun 6, 2014.

1. Jrobert94, Jun 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2014

Jrobert94 macrumors newbie

Thought that because i see a lot of people asking questions and if things have been fixed/not fixed etc. That i would start this thread.

Basically, you can ask me any question (faetures, bugs or any little detail) about the os and ill try it ou on my iPhone 5S (or iPad) and get back to you :cool:

I'll be keeping this alive through the betas

2. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Thank you in advance.

Not sure if you can answer my question (it involves AirDrop from Mac with OS 10.10 to iOS): Can you AirDrop a non-supported file from Mac to iOS (ex. a Photoshop file)?

3. Jrobert94 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ive just tried and my iPhone did ask me to accept the file but when I clicked yes nothing happened, don't know if the transfer worked but the file is nowhere to be found. I would imagine that in future updates it just won't let you transfer them at all

4. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Thanks for checking! I was curious where it would store files that didn't have proper apps associated with them.

5. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

iCloud Drive maybe?

6. thenewone, Jun 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2014

thenewone macrumors member

From the iOS 8 featured page on apple.com:

"iCloud Photo Library helps you make the most of the space available on your iOS device, so you can spend more time shooting pictures and less time managing them. It can automatically keep the original high-resolution photos and videos in iCloud and leave behind lightweight versions that are perfectly sized for each device."

Can you test this out? What "perfectly sized [lightweight] version" is left on the device? (i.e. can you somehow verify what the resolution a particular "lightweight" version of a photo or video is?)

If on the actual iPhone it only keeps something like 640x960 for a standard 2x3 aspect photo (or 1136x640 for video), while uploading the full-res version to iCloud, then this would be absolutely amazing for space management...especially for 16gb models!

And a follow up question: if you go to email or message one of these "lightweight versions", does it intelligently pull the full-res version from iCloud when it is actually sent?

7. bigchrisfgb macrumors 65816

On the messages app when it says it is now capable of auto delete, can this be specified down to specific contacts?

For example I have one friend who I wish to keep a hold of texts from, everyone else I don't really mind if they get deleted soon after I've read them. Is there a way to do this or is it all or nothing?

Thanks.

8. ATC macrumors 6502a

I'd love to know if you can set a 3rd party map app (e.g. Google Maps app) as default instead of Apple Maps, so that when you click on an address link in Mail or Safari Google Maps app opens by default. That to me would be a life saver. TIA

9. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Nope, it's all or nothing.

----------

Nope, you cannot change default maps app.