Any difference at all between Verizon and T-Mobile 6s?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Broadus, Sep 18, 2015.

1. Broadus macrumors 6502a

I use a prepaid carrier on Verizon towers, so I obviously need a phone that possesses those CDMA radios. Bot Verizon and T-Mobile are the same model: A1688.

I can preorder a T-Mobile full price which comes unlocked to my house, or I drive 45 miles to an Apple Store to see if they will sell me a full-price Verizon 6s I've reserved without a Verizon contract.

Is there any reason not to preorder the full-price T-Mobile 6s that doesn't require an account?

2. pudcraft macrumors regular

My $0.02 - They are different model numbers I believe, but the internals are the same. There is a slight difference in radios in the AT&T version, but nothing that will prevent either from working on either network.

I do not think Verizon will sell an unlocked iPhone off contract, on launch. I have had this issue before with them. What I did instead, was open a line, sign a 2 year contract and pay the ETF. Fortunately, I can still do that because I have a grandfathered older plan that permits 2 year contracts.

Apple WILL sell you a full price iPhone, which is probably the best thing to do. However, you can just do T-Mobile version and ship it to you, and be done with it.

Either way, you can't really go wrong from the sounds of it.

3. Broadus thread starter macrumors 6502a

The only full-price iPhone which is not locked to a carrier is the T-Mobile model, right? I've read differing opinions whether the Apple Store will see a full-price device only Verizon 6s at launch.

BTW, according to this, the Verizon, T-Mobile, and Sprint 6s's (I guess there is a label on the box designating them) are all Model A1688. I wonder is a phone's particular IMEI will designate it as Verizon, T-Mobile, or Sprint. If so, I may not be able to use the T-Mobile on my prepaid carrier because ti will not be whitelisted by Verizon. In that case, the best thing may be to wait till I can get a Verizon full-price account-free 6s.

4. sum1else macrumors newbie

The upgrade program says that the phones are all unlocked regardless of carrier.

5. Broadus thread starter macrumors 6502a

Right, but I'm not doing the upgrade program. I will buy one outright and use it for several years. Folks at the Apple Store tell me that they won't sell a phone even full price unless it is activated to the phone's carrier, but some on the forums here say that's not true.

I wish I knew for sure because it will take my morning next Friday to deal with the Apple Store, not to mention the 90-mile round trip.

6. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I've walked into an Apple store two years in a row and bought full price, unlocked iPhones. In 2013 I bought an unlocked AT&T iPhone 5s and in 2014 I bought an unlocked Verizon iPhone 6+. I will note that I did not do this on launch day, but within a month after launch.

7. Broadus thread starter macrumors 6502a

That may be a difference.

I'm not dying to get one on launch, but I didn't want 6s availability to get pushed back a couple of months. I don't think it will since it the 6s preorder page on apple.com still shows a 9/25 delivery date for the 64GB 6s on all four carriers, whereas the 6s Plus is pushed 3 to 4 weeks back.