Any Difference Between SD & HD iTunes Shows on a Macbook (Nov. 2006)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by MichaelMidnight, Sep 10, 2008.

1. MichaelMidnight macrumors regular

MichaelMidnight

I found that NBC is offering some free one-episodes on iTunes in both the SD and HD format, and I'm wondering if I'll see a quality difference on my Macbook. I can't remember if their HD version is on par with Blu-Ray, but I'm just wondering.

2. Jasoco macrumors 6502

A MacBook's screen is 720p. (Well, 800p, but it fits a 720p video at 1:1 pixel ratio.) Watch the HD version.

3. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

The HD version for download is not anywhere near Blu-Ray but still looks awesome.

HD iTunes TV Shows are 720p and a fairly low (~4Mbps) bitrate. However they look damned good and your MacBook has more than enough grunt to play them.

4. ttech10 macrumors 6502

You can actually download free HD/SD episodes of some shows. Monk and Psych let you download the first episode for free in both, so you can do that and compare.

5. sonictonic macrumors 6502a

Is it just me, or is the HD Quality on MONK and Psych crappy and kinda snowy looking, compared to The Office which looks fantastic? :confused:

6. Jasoco macrumors 6502

I think it's because of how they're recorded. The Office is taped with real HD cameras. I think Monk and Psych are using lower cameras or film. Keep in mind Monk and Psych weren't meant to be on HDTV. Earlier episodes were updated for widescreen by way of zooming and cropping later on. The Office was always HD and has always used 16:9 widescreen HD cameras for filming. (Everything except the "lipstick cameras".)

7. chinarut macrumors member

phew - i downloaded both versions for MONK and was really disappointed - I wasn't sure if I was blind or something.

I'll have to give Office a try and see what happens. thanks for the heads up!

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The "HD" on iTunes is only 480p/576p (NTSC/PAL).

So it's far from being 1080p.

9. kolax macrumors G3

You mean the SD right? iTunes' HD shows are 720p.

And come on, Apple are hardly going to offer 1080p shows for download - the file size would be huge, and the average person won't notice the difference to justify the extra price for 1080p and the huge download.