Any difference in how android and ios handle location data?

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by cuzo, Apr 28, 2015.

1. cuzo macrumors 6502

I'm making this thread basically because I was caught in the rain again and I was pissed because I can't find a android app that gives me real time weather alerts, like when it's gonna rain and so forth.

I have a note 4 but I usually keep the location off because it burns quite a bit a battery, also I don't trust Google with my location and battery drain.

I wanted to check out that IOS app called darksky since I hear it gives real time weather updates to the minute.

But I wanted to know how IOS handle location data and is it any different from Android.

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Its just more efficient on iOS - location reporting on Android is always heavy especially since google introduced location history. However o word suggest you look at weather timeline. My favourite android weather app and one that can be setup to give you weather warnings.

3. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

I use weather bug and it works great. It will give you an alert when it's going to storm or rain, or frost, etc.... I use the widget on my home screen and really like it.

Just leave it set to low power mode. It's plenty and all you need for weather as it uses cell towers and wifi to determine your location. I use low power mode all the time and get 24-36hrs our of my Note 3. Not sure what there is to "trust" about Google and your location?

Rain Alarm is another on Android that does this.

4. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

I have found personal gps location data to be roughly equal between iOS and Android, but geofencing is much more accurate on Android (likely because mapping data of businesses is more accurate via Google).

Pushed data from certain apps on iOS may be quicker or more accurate than their Android counterparts though?

Lots of variables...

5. gotluck, Apr 28, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2015

gotluck macrumors 603

gotluck

I personally use high accuracy so I can use trusted places with smart lock.

disabled location reporting as well and seem to be doing fine on gs4 gpe. However I have revoked location access for a few apps using a root app called app ops. Even if I didnt, I can't imagine battery life would be that much worse, but depends on the app I guess and how much it is polling

iOS is able to disable location access out of the box on a per app basis and android is inferior in this respect since solutions require root. Except on 4.4 - 4.4.2 this app works unrooted because it actually started as a hidden official google permissions manager in early versions of kit kat. Custom roms like cyanogen mod have permission managers too

6. Thunderboltedge macrumors regular

Thunderboltedge

Smart lock works also with low consumption mode btw, at least for em it does. It should work

7. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

I've been using Rain Alarm on both iOS and Android for years.

It's saved me many a time from thunderstorms sneaking up on our lake recreation area.

It's one of the few apps that I let send alerts to my watch.

8. cuzo thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks I'm setting up both apps now, also using low power mode. This is great, one of my issues with Android is getting resolved.

9. gotluck macrumors 603

gotluck

Coo thanksl, was not aware of that. I know it doesn't work in device only (GPS) mode

10. epicrayban macrumors 603

epicrayban