any difference in icloud keychain(ios 8) vs 1password

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by auzzuro, Jul 30, 2014.

1. auzzuro macrumors regular

with ios 8 extension feature coming i am sure many developer will take advantage of the touch id and icloud keycloud integrate together is there still any difference with 1password? majority of you guys are using icloud keychain or 1password?

2. MinEderPlayz macrumors 6502a

MinEderPlayz

I think it's that iCloud Keychain only works in safari while 1Password will work in any app, like those which require a login at start (Instagram, Banking, Tapatalk, ...)

3. madsci954 macrumors 68030

I use both on iOS 7 and Mavericks. I only use iCloud Keychain because I like Safari better than 1Password's browser, but I prefer 1Password's password generator more. Plus it will go cross platform where iCloud Keychain is locked to the Apple ecosystem.

In iOS 8, 1Password will work with both Safari and 3rd party apps, but the app's dev has to support 1Password's extension code. They posted a video a yesterday demoing their beta app and extension.

http://blog.agilebits.com/2014/07/30/introducing-the-1password-app-extension-for-ios-8-apps/

4. AGKyle macrumors 6502a

Hi there, I work for AgileBits, we make 1Password.

A few of the things off the top of my head:

1) The data is yours. We do not store your data on our servers. You can optionally sync to iCloud, Dropbox or via wifi to iOS devices (from Mac and Windows)

2) We support Firefox, Opera, Chrome, various derivatives of Chrome including Whitehat Aviator and Yandex, as well as Safari. iCloud Keychain only works in Safari.

In regard to iOS we have our own built in browser that fills in the current major release. In the next release we will support filling into Safari, and into other applications that integrate with our extension which is very easy to add:

http://blog.agilebits.com/2014/07/30/introducing-the-1password-app-extension-for-ios-8-apps/

3) We support more organization of your data. Not only do we store Credit Cards, Logins, Identities and Secure Notes, we support Passports, secure attachments on all of those items (added on Mac/Windows, viewable on iOS), Folders to organize your data, Tags for those items (including Smart Folders on Mac)

4) We are cross platform, Mac, Windows, iOS, Android and a read-only version for Windows Phone. Your data goes with you if you have to use a PC at work.

5) We're constantly updating 1Password to improve it and include new features. We added Watchtower, a heartbleed notification service in the last Mac release for example.

6) We provide support to help you with questions, concerns or suggestions. I'm here to help and we have a full team to help you should you ever need it.

Let me know if you have any questions at all about 1Password. I'll be happy to help however I can.

5. ziggie216 macrumors 6502

When is your next sale for 1Password for OS X, Windows, and iOS?

6. jsmith189 macrumors 65816

jsmith189

7. AGKyle macrumors 6502a

We don't normally pre-announce sales. But if you keep an eye on our twitter account: @1Password you'll see the announcement there the next time we do put it on sale.

I know that doesn't directly answer your question, but it's the best I can do at this time.