Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Turnpike

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 2, 2011
New York City!
I use a phone almost only as a portable hotspot. So the smaller size is handier, but if the larger phone gives even a 3% better connection or reach or quality hotspot, I would bother with the newer, more expensive phone in a heartbeat.

Does anyone think (or know) that they might get a better reach with a 6S Plus than a 5S? Same plans, same areas, etc. Would the larger phone have a better powered antenna (or whatever) or even an iPad might give better/worse hotspot connections/service?

I couldn't find anything on the subject, if anyone has some technical knowledge or experience, it would be very interesting. Thanks!

countryside

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2016
I use a phone almost only as a portable hotspot. So the smaller size is handier, but if the larger phone gives even a 3% better connection or reach or quality hotspot, I would bother with the newer, more expensive phone in a heartbeat.

Does anyone think (or know) that they might get a better reach with a 6S Plus than a 5S? Same plans, same areas, etc. Would the larger phone have a better powered antenna (or whatever) or even an iPad might give better/worse hotspot connections/service?

I couldn't find anything on the subject, if anyone has some technical knowledge or experience, it would be very interesting. Thanks!
I don't know hard facts, but I have found that my 6s hotspot is faster than my brothers 5s.

Turnpike

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 2, 2011
New York City!
I don't know hard facts, but I have found that my 6s hotspot is faster than my brothers 5s.

That's what I was wondering- I've found that a Macbook running off an iPhone wifi seems to be a smoother connection (faster?) than off of any other type of portable hotspot, and many times its crossed my mind that this is the case, quite consistently. I doubt there's any hard evidence of that either, but by now I'm almost sure that's the case.

Anyone else?

countryside

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2016
That's what I was wondering- I've found that a Macbook running off an iPhone wifi seems to be a smoother connection (faster?) than off of any other type of portable hotspot, and many times its crossed my mind that this is the case, quite consistently. I doubt there's any hard evidence of that either, but by now I'm almost sure that's the case.

Anyone else?
Well, another thing is that if you upgrade to the 6s you will have a longer battery life, and likewise a longer time to use the hotspot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.