Any differences after Jailbreaking your iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by TJunkers, Aug 4, 2010.

1. TJunkers macrumors 6502a

TJunkers

You know... besides awesomeness?

I just want to make sure the phone hasn't slowed down, battery life hasn't died faster, and so on...

I know I've read all good things but now thats its been out for a few days I thought I'd ask.

Thanks!

2. fuzzielitlpanda macrumors 6502a

longer start up and response time after jailbreak. there is some noticeable delay when opening some apps, but it doesn't happen all the time. the phone does feel a bit slower compared to stock

3. lionqueen macrumors 6502

My usage stats dont show up anymore - there's just dashes where the numbers should be, and it says numbers will show up after the iphone is charged - but Ivee charged it twice now, and they still dont show up.

Thinking about restoring back to factory... the one thing I really wanted were custom text tones, and I still havent been able to do it. Lock info is nice, and sos is sbsettings, but I dont know if those two things are worth jailbreaking for. Im glad I tried it - I've always wanted to - but I think it might not be for me.

4. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

your imagining things

I've measured the amount of memory used by just JB its less than 10mb

keep in mind the iphone 4 has about 330-340 free memory when nothing is running

the only slow down ive seen are actually from cydia and rock but thats because those programs are just slow starters

also ive noticed that other jailbroken apps are lagging too. but my OS + non JB apps are 100% smooth

5. joeworrall macrumors newbie

The only difference I noted was that the colour of the non-docked icon names is slightly more grey than they used to be. They appear fainter which is a problem when reading in strong light.

It's more of an aesthetics thing because obviously I don't need to read my icons to know what they are.

Interesting to see of anyone else is experiencing this.

Joe.

6. irich25 macrumors regular

is it just me or does the iphone finally feels like an iphone after jailbreak :D

7. KoukiFC3S macrumors 6502a

Respring does that to your usage. After you're done setting up your jailbroken apps, the usage timer will work properly again.

8. liekomgj4ck macrumors newbie

I just jailbreaked my 4 tonight, not sure I like it so far. Can't find any good themes and a bunch of them aren't working. Seems like more of a headache than it's worth.

Some have promise but they aren't high res.

9. irich25 macrumors regular

well didn't really do much themeing (most likely will not be working fully for a while give it some time.. jailbreak just came out) but sbsettings, mywi, springflash, lockinfo was a win for me

10. Mademan12321 macrumors 6502

You sir are correct. Even though I don't have a ton of apps yet due to compatibility with some, just having 3G facetime, google voice, Sbsettings, My3g, Mywi, Lock Info and winter themes makes me a happy bear

YOU HA HA ARE A WINNER

11. Mademan12321 macrumors 6502

You do know this came out two freaking days ago. A lot won't be compatible initially until the developers can at least roll out the bed, schedule some free time, and actually test out the updates for the iphone 4.

Most of the regular apps for the app store aren't high res either. Jesus :rolleyes:

12. liekomgj4ck macrumors newbie

leave Jesus out of this. :D

13. Donz0r macrumors 6502a

Are you serious? Do you know how much time it takes to create an entire theme?! It takes a ******** of time for these people - who don't get paid for their work - to make themes for the iPhone. And seeing as the iPhone 4 has been jailbroken for literally a day - there won't be any Retina Display themes for a while. People need time to make them. ...for free

14. Syk macrumors 6502a

I don't have a ton of apps on mine but it seems just as fast as it did before the jailbreak. Restart isn't slow either but I guess after coming from a JB 3G anything new would seem faster.

15. theautopilot macrumors 6502a

theautopilot

That's exactly how i feel. Rather underwhelmed TBH, nothing really worth the slight stability and battery hit i'm seeing. I can see how it was almost essential pre-OS4 days, but now its a big 'meh' from me so far.

16. Syk macrumors 6502a

Are you talking about custom txt tones where different people have a different sound or custom in that you can make your own. If the latter then you can do that already.

17. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

WOW I cant believe you said "besides awesomeness." I was going to come in here saying "well, my phone is more awesome."

Well played OP.

18. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

My jailbroken iPhone 4 is slower at opening folders and the app switching menu then my sisters stock 3GS. I also tested it against another 3GS which was jailbroken and my phone was still slower.

19. ZipZap macrumors 601

So the JB is not really ready for prime time. You phone should not get slower.

20. Bawstun macrumors 65816

Bawstun

My phone hasn't gotten any slower from the JB, and in the past (on the 3GS) there was a SLIGHTLY noticeable lag from JB'ing, but not this time around for me. Yet anyway...

Really, the only reason I continue to jailbreak iPhone after iPhone is for biteSMS. Every feature they offer makes sense. Each one is something Apple should incorporate into their default messaging app. I bet they want to, but feel stupid they didn't think of any of it first.

Honestly - it's handsown easily one of the best apps that isn't controversial (ie: Facetime over 3G, free tethering, etc).

BiteSMS just makes sense and makes texting more convenient, easy, faster, enjoyable...so on so on.

21. Snowman3459 macrumors 6502a

22. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

I'm planning to leave my theme stock for now and just download tweaks like activator, sbssettings, 3Gunrestrictor, iprotect, intelliscreen (still waiting on this one). So far haven't noticed any lag or battery issues. It's aweso.. oh wait, can't say that. :)

23. texred27 macrumors newbie

Joe I too experienced the Grey non-docked icon names. very annoying especially on the beautiful iphone 4 screen. I believe I figured out why this happens. You recently installed Winterboard, correct? If i am not mistaken this is the app that is causing the change of font color from white to grey. THERE IS A SOLUTION! Go into Winterboard--->Select Themes. and click on the little theme bar that says "White Icon Labels". Once you respring.......PRESTO! Problem solved.

I registered to macrumors.com just to answer your query because it was annoying the hell out of me too and I read your post before i eventually found the solution. So I hope this helped :)

24. sheppy1 macrumors 6502a

sheppy1

Have quite a few Jailbroken apps here including winterboard, SBSettings and the nexus one live wallpaper and it's still running as fast as it was when I didn't have it jailbroken and SBSettings is saying that I still have 350mb of RAM free :D

25. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

I remember Jailbreaking my 3G, and that was a horrible experience. First of all, it required a computer to actually jailbreak the device, and after a while my iPhone was VERY sluggish.

So I hesitated to jailbreak my iPhone 4, but it was just so simple to do so, and I figured why not if I can simply restore it if I didn't like it. Sure, it would be inconvenient to restore, but I only live once :p

The better processor and extra RAM definitely help out. I haven't really noticed any sluggishness. The Cydia app is slow sometimes, but I'm sure it's just the app. I like it so far.