Any differences that I might me missing between 3G and 3GS?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by johnnyham89, Jul 18, 2009.

1. johnnyham89 macrumors newbie

So im about to finally switch over from tmobile to att and I was probably going to buy one of their iphones. The question that I have is what are the main differences between the 2? I know that its a little faster, that i can live without. For example the 3G doesn't have video recording but i have heard that you can get an app for that. Is that true? If so how much of a difference is it than that of the 3GS? If there are any other main distinctions that im missing please inform me. Thanks

2. HarrisonB macrumors 6502

It's not a little bit faster. It's remarkably faster and you can't live without it.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Depending upon what phone you're coming from the 3G would feel like a dream. I know a few that came from a moto razr and they're so inthralled with the 3G. However, the 3GS is at least 2x faster and does probably handle certain apps better.

The compass appears to be opening up an entirely new world of apps for people, that may be the lure for you. Also video recording if you don't want to jailbreak the 3G then the 3GS is for you if this is important.

I have also noticed the camera is much better. If that matters to you.

4. johnnyham89 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah it probably will feel like that for me since im coming from a htc shadow. Is the speed just with loading times or just performance while using the app? I might be confused but I thought I heard that you didnt have to jailbreak to get an app for video recording?

5. Megalobyte macrumors 6502a

You say you don't care about the speed, but the 3gs isn't just faster, it's way more powerful, let me put it this way, if you think you'll be using the phone for a fair amount of Internet browsing, you'll find the 3g to really struggle with rendering pages, and it will often run out of ram, so you'll have half a page up, and the other half is blank, it'll eventually render the rest, well usually anyway, but these are issues the 3gs won't have because it has about twice the overall power. And there are all sorts of other advantages the 3gs' power increase provides other than speed, the extra power makes it far more usable and stable.

Then when you throw in high quality video, which the 3g won't have no matter what app you get, and a much better camera, for me it's an easy choice.

6. mgamber macrumors 6502a

mgamber

If you jailbreak a 3G you can record video using a 3rd party app, yes. The main selling point of the 3GS is speed, period. The rest of it is pretty much just icing or a function of 3.0 software that you can put on the 3G. It really depends on what you want. I'd go try them out and keep in mind that the phone slows over time, plus jailbreaking slows it even more. Try both phones at an Apple store or something, if you can, and if you find the 3G too slow, go for a 3GS. Of course, with everyone trying to sell their 3G to buy a 3GS you can probably find a 3G for cheap...a strong selling point in it's favor if the speed isn't a problem. Personally, I have 3G and 3GS phones and they're almost interchangable given how I use them. I prefer the 3GS simply because it's faster.

7. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

Wow. Just wow.

Really? Never saw anyone complain about this before the 3GS came out.

What the OP is witnessing here is bit of fluff when it comes to the 3GS and some downplay of the 3G. The 3G is not a crippled phone the way some of these guys like to make it seem.

The 3GS is faster, has video recording, a compass and voice control. That's about it. But since you're a new customer and the price difference for you will only be $100, I highly suggest you get the 3GS. $100 is not much considering the amount you'll be spending on the service, and it will get you a better experience.

Go with the 3GS.

8. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

The Safari screen loading issue on the 3G is a widespread issue simply because of insufficient RAM. Also, the 3GS doesn't continually have to refresh a page in Safari if you leave for a few minutes and come back to it. I saw several posts on this in the last year.

9. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

My 3g doesnt continually refresh either since 3.0

No issues like the above for mine

But to the OP, if you are just buying an iPhone now, get the 3GS, might aswell get the latest model

10. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

This was the most frustrating thing for me while using the 3G. I'd be browsing a page, click a link to view something in a new window and when I'd close that and go back to what I was doing I'd have to wait for that page to reload.

No more with the 3GS. I've had as much as five graphic intensive pages open at once with no memory problems.

11. lavinci macrumors 6502

3GS loads up apps better especially the settings app. Yes, Settings. I use it frequently and it helps when I need to access a quick thing like to enable location services or wifi. Also, the camera is better, but not the best. Overall, it is a much faster device and loads many apps faster like the heavily intensive games and apps.

12. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

I say go to YouTube and look up iPhone 3G vs. iPhone 3GS. There are a few good videos on there that show the difference.

I currently on a 3G and I'm just going to wait for the next iPhone. However one thing I really liked that I saw on one of the videos is that when on a webpage on the 3GS and you scroll down really fast, you don't get that checkerboard crap. I thought that was pretty nice. However, I have lived 7 months without it, another 12 won't kill lol. :p

13. davyreins macrumors 6502

I've got a 3G and I love it. But, if I were looking to get a new iPhone right now I would definitely get the 3G S because I would hate to buy something already outdated.

14. samcraig macrumors P6

I would get the 3gs. It's the newest phone and with technology, as soon as you buy it it's already "outdated" so you might as well start with the latest and greatest.

As for video - and someone can correct me if I'm wrong - the 3G can do video via jailbreaking - but the quality and framerate are NOT as good. You don't get full 30fps.

As mentioned - the camera in the 3GS is a megapixel better than the 3G and I have seen what a difference that makes already. Plus you get click-focus-light metering

Games and other Apps will be taking advantage of the 3GS as well because, as others have said - it's more powerful. It's capable of handling a lot more in terms of graphics and speed.

Ultimately it's your decision. But like you, I was brand new to the iPhone and I bought the 3GS vs the 3G because of the first reason I mentioned + the extra functionality of the 3GS over the 3G

15. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

advantages of the 3GS over the 3G:
    • twice the processor speed
    • twice the RAM (meaning more than twice as much free on boot, after the OS takes its share)
    • twice the capacity
    • able to use AT&T's faster 3G network when it's rolled out
    • 3 megapixels instead of 2
    • auto focus
    • video recording
    • digital compass
    • nike+

might be missing some, but those are the big ones. In short - get the 3GS.

16. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

There is absolutely no reason in the world to get a 3G instead of a 3GS.

You get twice the speed, twice the power, twice the storage, improved camera with auto-focus, video recording, voice control, and a built-in compass for $100 more. It's a no brainer.

17. netslacker macrumors 6502

Differences are huge. The 3gs has:

-double the storage space
    -at least twice as fast (600mhz v 412, better 3d and 256mb ram vs 128mb)
    -remarkably improved camera with autofocus and video capabilities (no vid in 3g)
    -Voice control
    -compass (by itself is rather pointless but it will play a big role in games and apps)
    -HSDPA (7.2mbps download capable vs. 3.6)

The speed, extra storage and camera make the extra 100.00 a nobrainer. Everything else is gravy.

18. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

Well it helps in the maps, so you don't have to rotate the map to see which direction you are going