Any differences to NewsStand?

Mad Mac Maniac

macrumors 601
Original poster
I feel, personally, that NewsStand in iOS 5 was pretty much a flop of a feature....

a) You are required to have it on your homescreen even if you have no news apps
b) Your subscription news HAVE to go there even if you only have 1 news app
c) It takes up a space on your multitasking tray
d) And worst of all, it doesn't even autodownload new content!!!

I recently started subscribing to the daily and I was surprised to realize the lack of autodownloading content. I thought that was the purpose of newsstand in the first place! Is that a fault of newsstand or of the daily?

So has anything changed?

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
I feel, personally, that NewsStand in iOS 5 was pretty much a flop of a feature....

a) You are required to have it on your homescreen even if you have no news apps
b) Your subscription news HAVE to go there even if you only have 1 news app
c) It takes up a space on your multitasking tray
d) And worst of all, it doesn't even autodownload new content!!!

I recently started subscribing to the daily and I was surprised to realize the lack of autodownloading content. I thought that was the purpose of newsstand in the first place! Is that a fault of newsstand or of the daily?

So has anything changed?
d) Mine does on iOS 5 as long as I'm on WiFi.

As to the rest: not noticed any change in iOS 6

Mad Mac Maniac

macrumors 601
Original poster
d) Mine does on iOS 5 as long as I'm on WiFi.

As to the rest: not noticed any change in iOS 6
what apps does that work for? Because it doesn't do it at all for the daily. Everytime I open the daily, it shows a bar at the top that says "checking for updates". Often stories will be added throughout the day so if I open it again a few hours later (when my iPad has been in wifi the entire time) I will need to download the updates.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
what apps does that work for? Because it doesn't do it at all for the daily. Everytime I open the daily, it shows a bar at the top that says "checking for updates". Often stories will be added throughout the day so if I open it again a few hours later (when my iPad has been in wifi the entire time) I will need to download the updates.
The only NewsStand app I use is the Metro newspaper one. The new copy is there in the morning Mon->Fri without me doing anything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.