Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 29, 2008
the one thing I'd like is to be able to blindly control my music playback. When the now playing app is active the crown controls volume which is very handy.

I just found out if you double click the crown it immediately launches the last app you used - but it doesn't seem to work with 'now playing'

Is there any direct or quick way to do this? It seems like music control would be one of the most used features but they don't have a play/pause complication, don't have a now playing complication, and can't even switch directly to now playing?

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Which version of Watch OS are you on? On watchOS 3 there is a music complication that can be added to many of the faces (but not all faces, and not in all positions). I believe tapping on the complication takes you to music controls.

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 29, 2008
Which version of Watch OS are you on? On watchOS 3 there is a music complication that can be added to many of the faces (but not all faces, and not in all positions). I believe tapping on the complication takes you to music controls.

WatchOS3. I think he music complication is only Apple Music. There is a now playing app screen I can keep in the dock (or that appears whenever you're playing a music app on iPhone) which works with Spotify, pocket casts etc, but you can't seem to get there from the music complication

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
I wish there was a simple play/pause complication for Overcast (and music) akin to the start/stop button on the chronograph face.

Reactions: mrklaw

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 29, 2008
I wish there was a simple play/pause complication for Overcast (and music) akin to the start/stop button on the chronograph face.

I'd also like the option to turn off time travel and use the Digital Crown to control volume even when I'm just on the watch face.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
the one thing I'd like is to be able to blindly control my music playback. When the now playing app is active the crown controls volume which is very handy.

I just found out if you double click the crown it immediately launches the last app you used - but it doesn't seem to work with 'now playing'

It works with Apple Music though.
[doublepost=1475319898][/doublepost]
I'd also like the option to turn off time travel and use the Digital Crown to control volume even when I'm just on the watch face.

Or you can long press the crown and tell SIRI to lower the volume. You can also tell her to skip song or love a song even when in watch face.

Last edited:

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 29, 2008
It works with Apple Music though.
[doublepost=1475319898][/doublepost]

Or you can long press the crown and tell SIRI to lower the volume. You can also tell her to skip song or love a song even when in watch face.

Sure, it works with Apple Music, as does the complication. But I don't use Apple Music (usually listening to podcasts) and I don't want Apple to add features that only benefit their apps. And I'm not talking to Siri when I'm on the noisy tube or walking along the street when is when I need it :)

Reactions: yegon

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007

Yeah, I never use time travel so that would be a good option.

Also, I agree with your other post, using Siri for certain basic functions is absolutely untenable for a lot of situations. Was on an empty train earlier, tried sending a text with watch, useless. Simply did not work due to ambient noise. Equally, doing something in a new and trendy way that takes more steps and is exponentially slower due to unreliability, is a step back, not a step forward.

Reactions: mrklaw

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
Time travel is turned off by default on my watch. I'm not sure if this is specific to the series 2 watch or that this is something from watchOS 3. Anyway, you can turn off time travel in the watch app on the iPhone; it's in the Clock settings.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
WatchOS3. I think he music complication is only Apple Music. There is a now playing app screen I can keep in the dock (or that appears whenever you're playing a music app on iPhone) which works with Spotify, pocket casts etc, but you can't seem to get there from the music complication

I think I read somewhere that third party music apps can be controlled by the Remote app. Not sure if it's true because I don't use third party music apps so can't try this out.

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
The Remote app only controls iTunes libraries (sadly, only the ones on OS X, not the ones on iOS) and Apple TVs.

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
Yes just like your reply which has got nothing to do with my reply. I wasn't talking about the "Now playing" app, I was talking about the "Remote" app (as mentioned by Night Sping) which does something entirely different as I've explained in my previous reply. Do read the thread from top to bottom.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
The Remote app only controls iTunes libraries (sadly, only the ones on OS X, not the ones on iOS) and Apple TVs.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. Now I have a way to use a watch to lower volume on my MBA.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.