Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 8, 2015
I subscribed to Apple Music today and I am downloading the music I like for offline download. They are not 5K. They must be 400-500 or less. I have 115GB left on my iPhone so that's not a problem. It will be like 5-6GB or so, maybe a bit more.
Anyway, my question is if there's a drawback whatsoever to download my favorite 400-500 songs for offline listening.

Reactions: nicastro78

acorntoy

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2010
You wouldn't get your full money's worth out of your phone bill since you'd be using your network less.

I understand it's a dumb answer. But the only logical answer has been acknowledged by you.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
You need to connect to network once a while to ensure you still can listen to them offline, and those songs are still liable for being pulled from Apple Music side.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 8, 2015
You need to connect to network once a while to ensure you still can listen to them offline, and those songs are still liable for being pulled from Apple Music side.
Ah thank you for that. I'll surely connect to the network daily so I don't think that will happen. All cleared then, I'll download them. As per Apple Music pulling them well, they own them, I don't, so that's a risk I am willing to take.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Ah thank you for that. I'll surely connect to the network daily so I don't think that will happen. All cleared then, I'll download them. As per Apple Music pulling them well, they own them, I don't, so that's a risk I am willing to take.
Yup. Risking being pulled is not the risk I am about to take so I am suffered from constantly needing to buy CD to listen to the song I want.
Glad you can enjoy your Apple Music service.

Stefan johansson

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2017
Sweden
Usually,I use a mix of Apple Music and downloaded paid files in my playlist. Only drawback I see,is that Apple Music offline play have to connect to the internet every now and then,so Apple Music is not very useful for transatlantic flights,or yachting beyond network reach.

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
Usually,I use a mix of Apple Music and downloaded paid files in my playlist. Only drawback I see,is that Apple Music offline play have to connect to the internet every now and then,so Apple Music is not very useful for transatlantic flights,or yachting beyond network reach.

Do they say this anywhere in the support documents? I want to know how often you would need to connect.

I have been using Apple Music since launch and I only use offline listening. I listen to music from my phone when I'm traveling from and to school (don't have 4G data on my phone). At both locations however I connect to Wifi, so I guess I have never encountered a problem because of that.

I do think I've been disconnected for more than a day while still being able to use offline playback, but I'm not sure.

You even mention transatlantic flights and that's especially interesting to me since I'll be taking one this summer... But it just doesn't seem likely to me that it wouldn't work.

Stefan johansson

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2017
Sweden
Do they say this anywhere in the support documents? I want to know how often you would need to connect.

I have been using Apple Music since launch and I only use offline listening. I listen to music from my phone when I'm traveling from and to school (don't have 4G data on my phone). At both locations however I connect to Wifi, so I guess I have never encountered a problem because of that.

I do think I've been disconnected for more than a day while still being able to use offline playback, but I'm not sure.

You even mention transatlantic flights and that's especially interesting to me since I'll be taking one this summer... But it just doesn't seem likely to me that it wouldn't work.

Apple Music downloads need autecication about three to four times a day over internet. Not a very big issue for me,I just change to a playlist with only bought music if I get trouble with playback caused by no connection error. Try download your Apple Music tunes to iTunes,then sync,and problem will be permanently solved.

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
Apple Music downloads need autecication about three to four times a day over internet. Not a very big issue for me,I just change to a playlist with only bought music if I get trouble with playback caused by no connection error. Try download your Apple Music tunes to iTunes,then sync,and problem will be permanently solved.

That many times huh, I can't remember ever having that issue (and I only have music downloaded directly from AM, nothing from CD's or bought). Sometimes though it shows a notification that reads "sign in to your iTunes account" or something, but the music always keeps playing.

I find this a very weird requirement. If you take those long flights as an example, that would be one of the specific situations where offline playback was designed for, right?

Stefan johansson

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2017
Sweden
That many times huh, I can't remember ever having that issue (and I only have music downloaded directly from AM, nothing from CD's or bought). Sometimes though it shows a notification that reads "sign in to your iTunes account" or something, but the music always keeps playing.

I find this a very weird requirement. If you take those long flights as an example, that would be one of the specific situations where offline playback was designed for, right?
as long as your phone have internet access,you won't notice the authentication at all,as it's fully automatic. The sign in request pops up when it's trying to contact server and internet suddenly drop out,like when driving in tunnels or walking through basements in large buildings,when you get access again,it works fine.

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
as long as your phone have internet access,you won't notice the authentication at all,as it's fully automatic. The sign in request pops up when it's trying to contact server and internet suddenly drop out,like when driving in tunnels or walking through basements in large buildings,when you get access again,it works fine.

I never had internet (mobile data, 4G) on my phone, only Wifi. So I get the notification sometimes, but its not like I can't listen to music anymore. I can't remember clearly if it's ever been longer than a day without wifi, but I still think it's possible to keep listening to downloaded music for a longer period of time.

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004
Anyway, my question is if there's a drawback whatsoever to download my favorite 400-500 songs for offline listening.

Not being mentioned by anyone is that you have to agree to iCloud Music Library in order to download tracks from Apple Music for offline listening. Having experienced first hand how Apple will trash your local library if you're fool enough to enable that, I wouldn't ever do it again.

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
Not being mentioned by anyone is that you have to agree to iCloud Music Library in order to download tracks from Apple Music for offline listening. Having experienced first hand how Apple will trash your local library if you're fool enough to enable that, I wouldn't ever do it again.

Highly depends on the music you have, I had no real issues.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
One critical reason I hate Apple Music and iCloud Music library.
Buying tracks give me much more freedom, plus higher quality songs.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 8, 2015
I have no music on my iPhone. Thanks for the warning though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.