Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kalixa

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
Hello. I will need to buy a version of Windows XP. I was just wondering, is there any advantages in getting a non-oem version from a oem version? I personally don't need the manual and support as long as I have a working version of windows xp I am fine. My dad spoke to a guy, and he said that oem version are bound to one piece of hardware. Is this true?

Also, can you upgrade to a later version of windows using a oem-version? Is an upgrade from to an operating system cheaper than buying a new oem-version?

Thank you.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
An OEM version is licensed to be attached to a piece of hardware. It's a full version in its own right but it's stuck on that piece of hardware that you install it on. At least when it comes to a license...

Tangerine

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2007
There is nothing different with OEM or Retail version. OEM are made especially for System Builder Computer, you only get a manual and the DVD. I bought an OEM myself, it's the same OS and it's the same if you buy the retail. The different is you get a full box with every manual, also the determine factor how many times you can activate Windows. I think OEM, if you have to activate Windows up to 10 times, you have to use phone to activate it. However, you can reinstall Windows as many times as you want. You only need to activate if dramatic Hardware change. Retail is also not unlimited, how many times you can activate and call in is not yet determine or unknown at this point.

Zer0

macrumors regular
May 22, 2007
Two differences

1) You can only transfer the license to a different machine once. After that I guess you will have to get on phone with MS and make excuses :)

2) No support from MS. The support has to be provided by the system builder who is selling OEM loaded machines. Its like when you buy a PC from dell with OEM version of vista installed, you have to call dell for support. In this case you are buying and installing it yourself, so you have to call yourself for support ;)

Tangerine

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2007
You can transfer to another computer, as long as you uninstall Vista from your other machine. But then, you may have to activate through phone, it automatic though. You just go through several process and it get activated. Yeah, I forgot about OEM version doesn't want you to install on other computer since it met for System Builder who install Vista onto that machine. With retail it quite easy moving from one computer to another, it still require you to activate though.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Another difference that is oft forgotten. OEM media generally can't be used to upgrade an existing installations, only clean installs.

B

sir42

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2003
NY, NY
If I buy the XP OEM, can I later upgrade to Vista with upgrade DVDs? Or am I better off buying the Vista OEMs?

thanks!

mattmiller

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2007
OEM, Parallels & Bootcamp

The OEM version will not work with both Boot Camp and Parallels. The activation process considers the virtual machine and the native hardware to be significantly different. OEM should work if you want to use one OR the other, but be careful - you only get one go at the activation.

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
The OEM version will not work with both Boot Camp and Parallels. The activation process considers the virtual machine and the native hardware to be significantly different. OEM should work if you want to use one OR the other, but be careful - you only get one go at the activation.

That is news to me… I am currently using XP OEM (Bought from Amazon) with both BootCamp and Parallels… I have had to reactivate once because I added more RAM.

Also I am using the BootCamp partition in Parallels.

The OEM XP has also been upgraded Free of charge to Vista. It came with a Coupon and the upgrade cost me the the mailing costs. Not installed yet…

JohnR23

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2007
That is news to me… I am currently using XP OEM (Bought from Amazon) with both BootCamp and Parallels… I have had to reactivate once because I added more RAM.

Also I am using the BootCamp partition in Parallels.

The OEM XP has also been upgraded Free of charge to Vista. It came with a Coupon and the upgrade cost me the the mailing costs. Not installed yet…

I assume this is the one you bought?

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Windows-Home-System-Builders/dp/B000JTFVME/ref=pd_bbs_1/105-7747702-0322024?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1185828624&sr=8-1

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
I read elsewhere here that a workaround to the activation issue is to first install windows in bootcamp, then activate Windows, and then mount the bootcamp as a virtual machine.

kingofkolt

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2007
Boston, MA

I activated OEM Vista Ultimate once for Boot Camp and once for Parallels. I had to talk to a human to do the Parallels installation, thought.

You didn't have to reactivate Windows in Parallels?!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.