Any DISADVANTAGES of restoring from backup?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by msmith2112, Mar 14, 2008.

1. msmith2112 macrumors 6502

msmith2112

I've got to exchange my iPhone today and will be receiving a new unit. I'm trying to decide whether to restore the new unit using the backup of my old one in iTunes or just treat it like a brand new iPhone and start from scratch.

I like the idea of having a "clean" start, but I don't know if this is particularly necessary?

Are there any disadvantages of using the backup utility built into iTunes for the iPhone?

Any ideas?

2. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

Personally id just restore the phone :)

Edit: i mean restore from back up!

3. macDonalds macrumors 6502

I recently had to replace my iPhone and did a restore from itunes. No problems here.

4. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Well...

I had a software glitch with my 1st returned iPhone, and the genius said that I should not do a restore from the old iPhone backup, for fear that I would develop the same software glitch. :cool:

5. msmith2112 thread starter macrumors 6502

msmith2112

Yeah, SFSS, that's exactly what I want to prevent.

I don't mind re-entering info, etc...so I'll prob just treat it as a new iPhone.

6. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

There is a way to transfer your contacts and iCal...

without re-entering all your information. I had over 300 phone numbers and email addresses when my iPhone went down, but getting the data to my new iPhone was not a problem. :cool:

7. msmith2112 thread starter macrumors 6502

msmith2112

Oh, i'll sync all of my calendar, contacts, etc. using iTunes.

But, I'll still have to reset all of the settings on the iPhone back to how I had them, re-add Webclips, etc.

8. billmister macrumors 6502

what if you had a jailbroken phone, restored it to original and get a new one?...

If you restore does that restore all your icons and stuff without the jailbroken? Or restores it with info from the jailbroken past iphone?