Any disadvantages to downgrading Mobilesubstrate?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by philip in al, Oct 22, 2010.

1. philip in al macrumors regular

Yes I've searched the threads, but I can't find anything that answers the question as to whether their are any disadvantages to downgrading to Mobilesubstrate 3209. Does anyone know of any? I'm considering doing this after reading about it improving battery life.

Thanks

2. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

IMO that is not a good idea (Many people have done it, some had no issues other had gotten into some), MS is a series of active libraries (Just like DLLs on Windows) that are use by most of the Application on Cydia (and Cydia itself), Those Libraries are update for a reason (bug fixes, some more critical than others, new features, performance issues). If any of the plugins and application try to call for any of those libraries that may have been updated with a new feature and it is not there, you can get into real nasty and system wide failure issues (you may also just get a error and that's it, it all depend).

I know that if you search and read, many people have Battery issues and downgrading MS "seen" to reduce this, however consider all those that DON"T post (because they don't have any issues) and all those (like me) that are running most current version of MS with no Effect on Battery.

Anyway that's my $.2

3. f4780y macrumors 6502

f4780y

Would echo the sentiment above. I don't see any reliable evidence that ms is at fault for battery drain (a handful of general observations don't cut it for me).
    Why would you choose to undo any bug fixes, performance improvements, and enhancements of such a core component? Saurik is a clever guy. IMO if there was any evidence that ms was excessively draining the battery he would have picked this up months ago and issued a fix...

4. philip in al thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys. Exactly what I wanted to know. You may have saved me one Big headache!

5. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

Let's not go overboard here. Most packages do not depend on Mobile Substrate. The main Cydia app, Cydia Installer, certainly does not. Of the 183 packages I have installed, only 33 depend on Mobile Substrate.

There is little danger in replacing the current version of Mobile Substrate (0.9.3228-1) with 0.9.3209-1.

The current versions of Unrestrictor 3G and libactivator do want version 0.9.3228-1 so be careful there.

I would not suggest trying the older version unless you are having a real problem with battery life.

S-

6. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

This is NOT true, but not really on the mood to get into an argument.

7. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

It is absolutely true! Here the dependencies for the Cydia package:

Depends: apr-lib, apt7-key, apt7-lib, darwintools, pcre, shell-cmds, system-cmds, essential, uikittools (>= 1.0.3198)
    Pre-Depends: dpkg (>= 1.14.25-8)

I can remove Mobile Substrate from my iPhone and the majority of my packages will continue to work, including Cydia.

All one has to do is look in this file for which packages require Mobile Substrate:

/private/var/lib/dpkg/status

When you first jailbreak an iPhone, Mobile Substrate is not installed. Why? Because it only gets installed when you install a package that depends on it. Cydia is not one of those packages.....

S-

8. polobreaka macrumors 6502a

+1, i have to agree. cydia does not use MS. you can even check it in sbsettings>mobilesubstrate addon, you dont see cydia in there. cydia is just an 'appstore'. it doesnt need to stay running all the time like other 'tweaks/apps' (ie: folderenahancer, gridlock, lockinfo, libweather, etc).

9. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

as i said no in the mood, i never said it was a Cydia dependency, I said that Cydia 'uses" it, APT-get sometime use some of those libraires specially when it need it insert some stuff into the stock UI.

10. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

It doesn’t really matter. Most people downgrading are doing so because they believe MS has affected their battery life. Downgrading will not change whatever their battery problems are. So, there is really no reason to downgrade.

11. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

Either your understanding is wrong or how you are describing it is wrong.

Cydia Installer does not use Mobile Substrate in any sense of the word. If a package that Cydia Installer is installing has Mobile Substrate as a dependency, it will install it. But, apt does not use Mobile Substrate, ever. It does not use any Mobile Substrate code to install anything.

Cydia Installer is a UI to apt and apt never does something like "insert some stuff into the stock UI." The installed packages do that.

This is up for debate. You can't argue with the results some people have posted when switching to the older version of Mobile Substrate. Whether the issue is with the packages using Mobile Substrate or with Mobile Substrate itself is the question.

S-