Any disadvantages to letting a computer sit unused?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by annk, Jun 1, 2008.

1. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

I have a 4-yr-old PB that's more or less been on and in use for the entire time I've owned it. Never had any problems. But in a few days I'll have an iMac, and I'll only need the PB very occasionally - it will be off most of the time.

I don't want to sell the PB for various reasons, one of which being the possibility to be portable once in a blue moon, when I need to be. I'm planning on stripping the PB down to the bare minimum so that it runs a bit snappier.

So what I wonder is are there any disadvantages to the machine if it's left off most of the time, and only occasionally started up and used? The question sounds stupid even to me, but it occurred to me that I've never had a computer that hasn't been on most of the time. :p I'll use setup assistant when I get my iMac, so the data on my PB won't be lost if something does happen to it.

2. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Eventually the PRAM battery on the logic board will drain and, I think, this will mean it needs replaced. If you charge it up every so often then it'll probably be fine.

I have an old PB I never use too. I intend turning it into a disk server (FireWire disk enclosures) as it's low power and has Gigabit ethernet....

4. annk thread starter Administrator

annk

Staff Member

Huh, the battery's been useless for the last couple years. :p I can only use it plugged in anyway. If that's my only worry, then no worries.

Good to know, thanks. I'll make a point of charging it up now and then.

5. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Every now and then won't work. The PRAM battery is only meant to hold a charge for just a few days (and less the older the Mac gets). It keeps it's charge by using the laptop battery or the wall plug.

6. annk thread starter Administrator

annk

Staff Member

Hmmm. Ok. Guess I'll keep it plugged in somewhere, but turned off.

I suppose this is the case for the Mac Mini as well? I have one in a vacation home, and I usually unplug it before we leave. We're only there every 2 - 4 weekends. I suppose I should keep it plugged in?

7. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Not necessarily. If it is a vacation home leave it unplugged. You could always do a PRAM reset on it if needed. This would protect you from a power surge or lightening strike in case there is a storm in the area.