Any discounts on iWork '08 beyond student discount?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by buffalo, Nov 26, 2007.

1. buffalo macrumors 65816

I have read on here that some universities sell certain software (Office, Windows... even Leopard) for below Apple's student discount. Does any college offer iWork for below the student price of $71? I'm trying to figure out if my brother might be able pick up a copy for a good price. Yes, I have asked him - three times over the last three weeks and he has yet to stop by the bookstore. I have decided that I could probably get my answer quicker through the helpful folks here at MacRumors.

So, the main question... Is iWork offered anywhere for less than $71? If so, does any body from the U of Utah know the price they sell it for?

Thanks!!!

2. bluesjam macrumors member

Before buying iwork I suggest you try Neooffice [www.neooffice.org].
    It is an open source app available for free.
    NeoOffice is a full-featured set of office applications (including word processing, spreadsheet, presentation, and drawing programs) for Mac OS X.
    I myself use it and can tell you it as good as iwork. Well if does not work then you can go for iwork. Friends of mine who use macs all use it and they are pretty satisfied with it. Give it a try.

3. buffalo thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks. I already have Office 2004 so I don't need a word processor. I was thinking it would be nice to have for presentations and for more creative documents, if the price was right. My brother finally called me and said he was able to buy it for $50.

4. pianoplayer1 macrumors 6502

pianoplayer1

Yea iWork is essential for any presentations... keynote is much better than PPT, but I still have office (just got it on Black Friday for 100 off AND the 08 upgrade!)

***tip*** – If you have to make a windows compatible presentation in iWork, export it to a Quicktime movie - NOT H.264 because old PCs cant play it... use Sorenson 3 - works in my school :)