any disks with new macbook pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by johnhurley, Aug 30, 2011.

1. johnhurley macrumors 6502a

johnhurley

New mbp 13 2011 running 10.7.

I asked at store specifically if an install/operating system disk would be with the laptop and was told "yes it is in there".

I do not have anything ... unless I missed it in the packaging.

Two questions I guess:

1) did they somehow not give me a package or set of things with the laptop that I should have received?

2) can you download from apple a copy of the install media and if so how?

I am doing things like adding printers and while my machine can find the drivers from the apple source it takes it a long time.

Thanks in advance!

2. ljonesj macrumors 6502a

ljonesj

if it came with lion there is no install media but it came with snow leopard there should be some

3. randomrazr macrumors 65816

if u bothered to look this up or even youtube unboxing of recent macbook pros, than uw ould find out macbooks now that ship with lion = no disks

4. johnhurley thread starter macrumors 6502a

johnhurley

So can you download the disks from somewhere?

Sorry but I did ask at the store and was given the wrong answer apparently.

5. rick98761 macrumors 6502

Lol, is this serious?

6. xkmxkmxlmx macrumors 6502a

xkmxkmxlmx

If it has Snow Leopard installed it has discs, if it has Lion, it does not have discs and you have to download it from the internet when you want to do a clean install.

Fairly common and controversial knowledge about the new OS, honestly. Just go to Apple.com and have a loot at Lion and it will give you a walk-through on what the install procedure is.

Alternatively, search for Lion and USB options for info on how to make your own boot disc.

7. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

Just another tip, Refurbs don't ship with Lion yet..

8. johnhurley thread starter macrumors 6502a

johnhurley

Looks like a "Lion Recovery Disk Assistant" app is available from apple. You can use that to download an app that will create a recovery disk on a usb drive.

There are apparently some other tricks such as buying a copy of Lion from apple and then downloading that and burning a disk copy also.

However the Lion Recovery Disk Assistant looks like the way to go here!

9. pliez macrumors newbie

pliez

10. HussamRaed macrumors regular

HussamRaed

Some People Here are so Rude !!, the guy\girl asked a question and i think that we should answer it !!!, not say "if you bothered looking this up" or something, thats what this forum is all about..

About your question:

MacBooks With Lion Pre-Installed on them don't come with physical media, they have the "OS X Disk Utilities" which is built in into every newly released macbook Pro, and lets you clean install the system without the need of discs,
    and in the case of you replacing the entire hard drive, Apple released the "Lion Recovery Disc Assistance" Which lets you put the OS on a thumb Drive, and install it later...

Hope this Helped !!!

11. Apok macrumors regular

I don't even think my mid 2010 13" came with disks. I had better check! I don't remember seeing a single disk inside that box.

12. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

All mid 2010 MBPs came with SL install discs

13. physicsguy13 macrumors 6502

physicsguy13

My MacBook Pro shipped with Lion and there were no disks in the box.

14. Apok macrumors regular

Must check box when I get home. Though if its not there, I might be a little screwed.

15. ladytonya macrumors 6502a

2011 MBPs came with discs until Lion came out. I got my 13" MBP at the Apple Store a little more than a week before Lion was released and I have SL install discs in my box.

What I need to do is figure out how to make a bootable DVD or USB drive to do a clean install of Lion so in the future if I need to reinstall the OS I don't have to start from scratch!

16. xkmxkmxlmx macrumors 6502a

xkmxkmxlmx

17. johnhurley thread starter macrumors 6502a

johnhurley

Thanks for the reference!

So what is the difference between getting a usb drive from the Lion Recovery Disk Assistant versus doing the way that the article references?

It sounds to me as if the difference might be that the reference you gave me includes all the bits already on the DVD ( or usb drive ) while using the Lion Recovery Disk Assistant app gives you "some of" the stuff but the operating system will be downloaded over the network from apple?

Or am I way off?

18. windows4ever macrumors member

windows4ever

Just to clear up several things:

- refurb macbook pros are now shipping with Lion and the new Lion keyboard, apple removed any reference to Snow Leopard on the refurb page

- the Lion macbook pros do not come with restore DVDs of any kind

- your copy of Lion and the iLife apps are backed up on a hidden partition on the hard drive so you can restore them in the future

- the version of Lion (10.7.0) that is shipping with the macbook pros is a specific version for the macbook pros - it is not the same as the 10.7.0 download from the app store