Any downside of iUP

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Tiks90, Sep 17, 2016.

1. Tiks90 macrumors newbie

Hello all,

I wanted to know if there is any downside of going with apple's upgrade program ? I am opting in for my iphone7plus this time so that i can upgrade it next year.

Apart from mandatory applecare plan do you see any other downside ?

2. Phone Junky macrumors 6502a

You weren't on the forums a week ago, were you?

3. techiegirl macrumors 6502a

techiegirl

We are not doing it because it's a hard pull (on your credit) every year for each phone.

4. Tiks90 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have been reader for a few years... but no i was not on the forum a week ago

5. Phone Junky macrumors 6502a

Big fiasco with iUP members unable to upgrade during preorder.

6. Tiks90 thread starter macrumors newbie

But now they are getting special treatment.... arent they ? I have been trying to get a plus from apple store but am not able to get it as they are reserved for the iup members

7. DetTigers macrumors regular

I am really baffled by all the talk about this "hard credit pull". Has anyone been actually negatively affected after getting this "hard pull"? I have excellent credit so maybe that's why I don't see any difference. Can someone please explain this to me!? It just seems silly...

8. Taco1933 macrumors 6502

Really? Every year? That seems extreme. I went through my carrier to avoid that first hard pull, but I never considered they'd keep doing them.

Buying a house soon. Would prefer to have as few roadblocks as possible. Already have several other pulls recently from getting married and moving.

9. Phone Junky macrumors 6502a

Some people think the higher your credit rating, the higher your status in society.

10. techiegirl macrumors 6502a

techiegirl

And if you're like me, with my husband and I, it's 2 pulls every year.

11. DetTigers macrumors regular

I mean how much can a credit pull really affect your score? Can't be much. It's not like you're gonna buy a house or a car and the bank is like "I'm sorry sir, you had excellent credit but Apple did a hard credit pull and now you just have good credit".

12. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

Requirement of apple care for a phone you're only going to have for a year keeps me away, seems silly that you don't have the option of not getting it unless you do the longer plan

13. techiegirl macrumors 6502a

techiegirl

My score dropped 20 points with a pull when I bought a car (with cash). If you are planning on buying a house or refinancing in next 6 months, it's not worth it.

14. cdrob macrumors newbie

I underwrite loans for a bank. It really doesn't matter at all. Only way it would do any major damage is if you have tons of hard inquiries frequently. Like multiple times a year we're talking. If you have the occasional hard inquiry every few months it means nothing. It might drop it less than 5 points which is gained back quickly.

15. DetTigers macrumors regular

Thank you! I figured this was the case. Where did all this hard credit pull hysteria come from I wonder??

16. cdrob macrumors newbie

It is a good thing to be mindful of your credit but some people either misjudge the effect of hard inquiries or are OCD about their credit score.

17. Markarian421 macrumors member

Markarian421

If by special treatment you mean we got to call Apple daily just trying to figure out what was going on all week because we couldn't order phones, and in the end some of us got phones and some of us didn't and now are just having to get up at midnight every night to check stock, then yes. I considered it a very special experience, one I don't plan to repeat. Unless Apple gives us some really good reason to stay in the program I'm going to pay off my loan and get out of the program before next year.

18. cdrob macrumors newbie

That's very odd? Did the dealership shotgun your credit and send it to tons of banks? Even then 20 isn't that much and should be easy to get back. Most import things isn't necessarily your credit score but your credit history. If you have perfect payment history and a long credit profile 720 vs 740 means nothing.

19. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

20 points is very extreme for a credit pull. At most mine is 4-5 points per hit. I only dropped 3 points for the credit pull last year on IUP.