any downside to buying from Amazon?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by gnychis, Jul 17, 2012.

1. gnychis macrumors 6502

I've been trying to dig up threads about this, but all of the ones I can find are quite old. I'm trying to decide on buying the new MBA from Amazon or from the Apple Store. I'd prefer to buy from Amazon. Does the Apple Care start from the date I purchase it on Amazon, just like it would if I purchased it from Apple?

2. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Well, first of all you don't get AppleCare, that's a separate product that you must purchase to extend your one year coverage to 3-years. You do get 1-year manufacture warranty from the date of purchase. If you purchase through Apple, the warranty system is automatically updated and your serial number will show up on their support website. If you buy from Amazon, Apple warranty will most likely ask you to submit purchase information to confirm the coverage dates.

There is no downside to buying from Amazon. They often sell them at discounted rates and I know some even save on having to pay taxes. I would still prefer Apple over Amazon, especially if you're using student discount with which you also get a $100 iTunes card + $100 of the 13" MBA.

3. gnychis thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks a bunch for the response! good to know there's not much of a difference. I get a high number of points on my credit card from using amazon, so that's my incentive for buying there. I'll give it a go!

4. Vyruss macrumors member

Only thing I have against amazon is their restocking fees that they charge you if you return an opened computer. Otherwise it's great to buy there, no tax!

5. asting macrumors 6502

Huh, it's only $50 off for me. I wonder if they have different tiers.

6. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Yeah i forgot, MBA only get $50 off. I HIGHLY suggest anyone looking to buy an Air check out Best Buy. I just picked one up for $1039. They have them on sale for $1139 and have an education deal for college students that takes off another $100. Better deal than Apple Store and Amazon.

7. robvas macrumors 68020

Microcenter (if you live near one) discounts Macs as well.

8. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

The only downside to Amazon is you can't customize. I wanted 8GB ram.

Other than that. If Amazon doesn't charge tax in your state and you want a base model. They're prices are better.

9. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

Amazon does have the 8GB models: http://www.amazon.com/Apple-MacBook...F8&qid=1342631712&sr=1-6&keywords=macbook+air

The biggest downside occurs in the event you are unhappy with the purchase. They sometimes charge a restocking fee, and you always have to pay the return shipping.

10. kodeman53 macrumors 65816

11. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

That's a 3rd party seller ( ^ beat me to it). For computers I'd only buy a mac on Amazon sold from them directly, for anything else I try to stick within the fulfilled by Amazon circle. Amazon doesn't directly sell custom configurations.

Cool though, for the more brave.

12. aksmax macrumors member

AppleCare

I've bought 2 laptops from Amazon. No issues. Warranties start at Invoice Date, which is Ship Date, for Amazon. And in my experience, Apple is generous with dates anyway.

One word of caution on Applecare. I've found amazing! pricing on AppleCare from Amazon resellers. I bought 2 MBP and 2 iPhone warranties at half price. However, when I went to activate, turned out that the MBP plans had ALREADY BEEN USED, rendering them useless. You only need the code from the outside of the box so it's really prone to scamming.

Unfortunately Apple's official statement was that they do not cover those kinds of issues from 'resellers'.

As it turned out this Amazon reseller was able to replace the plans with valid ones, so they weren't the scammer. I always look for reputable resellers anyway and was pretty shocked there was an issue.

So buyer beware...

13. GREEN4U macrumors 6502a

Actually this is not true. If you call and complain and ask for free return shipping they'll do it, quite easily too. They send you a shipping label. All you have to do is print it out and stick it on the box it came in and send it off. Free!

14. kodeman53 macrumors 65816

I do the same thing. Amazon doesn't 'hide' this fulfillment information and is ultimately accountable for delivering the product to the buyer, but I wonder how many people notice when a 3rd party does the fulfillment.

I first noticed it several years ago when an order arrived and it was not in the typical Amazon box plus it took longer to arrive.