Any downside to buying MBP from retailer other than Apple?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by FooArk, Jan 11, 2014.

1. FooArk macrumors 6502

Lets say I order from Best Buy, Amazon,etc. If something goes wrong with it, can I simply bring it to Apple or do I have to go to the retailer I bought it from

2. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

3. vmflapem macrumors 6502

Other retailers have different pricing for the same Apple product. So Apple doesn't allow refunds or exchanges if you buy them from other retailers. Your only option is to take them directly to where you originally bought it from

4. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

If it new from a authorized dealer, take it to the apple store and have your receipt to prove you are in warranty or apple care. Apple care is highly recommended.

5. Adonys macrumors regular

I buy from from BB reason is I get to rake in my rewards .

6. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

As long as you've purchased from an authorized retailer, there won't be any issues in taking the system to Apple for repair. A receipt usually isn't necessary, but it doesn't hurt to keep it.

I've purchased my last couple Macs from MicroCenter, and there were no hassles getting service from the Apple store.

7. Hookemfins macrumors 6502

Hookemfins

As long as you purchase from an authorized dealer, like Best Buy, no problems. You will still get 1 year warranty (including repairs at Apple Store) plus 90 days phone support. My MBPr and Mac Mini were purchased at BB.

8. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

The perks of buying from Apple is that everything is in their system. I purchased an iPod as a gift. They did not register it .. later I got a letter from Apple in my name about the iPod.

X3 Always buy from an Authorized Dealer.

9. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

Are there decent prices from other retailers? Checked out BB prices and I was better off using the student discount

10. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

You can sometimes find a good deal, but Apple doesn't like having their products discounted very much by anyone.

11. daudi81 macrumors regular

I used best buy for the rewards program. I got the warranty that covers accidental and the Apple care warranty does not. I'm not sure if they actually do cover accidental, but I don't plan on finding out.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I find there's no difference - I purchased macs through a variety of retailers over the years. Since I'm able to take advantage of the education pricing thanks to my job (I work at a teaching hospital), I have a financial reason to buy from apple.

13. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

Sometimes. I purchased my late 2011 MBP (Intel Sandy Bridge/Core i7 2xxx) shortly after Apple announced the Retina MacBook Pro and subsequent Ivy Bridge/Core i7 3xxx update. MicroCenter received a bunch of clearance stock of the older models. These were pretty much fully upgraded, including the faster CPU and high-res antiglare screen. Prior to the refresh, the machine would have cost $2649. I paid $1599.

It would be worth your while to consider a refurbished 2012 or early 2013 machine if you're interested in a 15-inch MBP. They come with the same warranty as a new system, and you can add AppleCare if you so desire. The cost savings can be significant if you don't absolutely have to have the latest and greatest.

14. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

When you used your ed discount...did you have to pay taxes? If you go with most online retailers, no sales tax. I got my rMBP from MacMall for less money...and no tax.

Always check the AppleInsider prices before purchasing anything Apple.

http://prices.appleinsider.com

15. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

Picked up a refurbished & saved about $600