Any downside to getting 64GB Ipod Touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by mattg3, Oct 19, 2011.

1. mattg3 macrumors 6502

Other than price does having the largest capacity Touch create issues.Does the size slow it down or make it hard to find things.Thinking largest size is way to go to future proof Ipod Touch with new apps coming out each day and The IOS5 capabilities.

2. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

Nope, none that I've experienced. Though there seems to be a few rough edges running iOS 5 on the iPod Touch.

The Music app is pretty bad when it comes to navigating a music collection. The 64GB will certainly allow for larger collections. I ended up making liberal use of smart playlists and using free apps like MoodAgent to interact with my collection in different ways.

3. transmaster macrumors 6502

transmaster

I purposely purchased a 64 gig because I watch a lot of videos on my Touch 4G. even with the small screen thanks to the retinal display are perfectly watchable. I have more trouble with the clanky way iTune runs on my PC.

4. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

yeah I agree with the precious posters. If it is primarily for music will we be searching a lot. For videos and tv shows it is great though

5. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 603

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    When you dismiss cost as a consideration, it almost always makes sense to max out hardware specs. The tradeoffs people consider are always pitted against cost.

If I was buying, I'd just buy what I can anticipating needing in an extreme case. For example, if you can foresee any scenario where you will need to store more than 32GB, the decision is easy. If you can anticipate having a lot of "big" apps, if you can anticipate a big trip on which you will want to sync a lot of movies, if you have a big collection of media that you would like to always have on hand, etc., big storage is the way to go.

Depending on circumstances, iCloud may make max storage less important but if you want ready access to media, it does come with a requirement of ready access to wifi. For every "you don't need big storage with iCloud" argument, one has to consider how accessible iCloud will be in all circumstances where you might want to access something there.

People are quick to say "Free wifi is everywhere" but it's only free until those companies paying for it on our behalf- entities like McDonalds, Barnes & Noble, etc- choose to no longer cover the cost for us. Then, it will be switched back to paid wifi overnight. Take notice the next time you log into "free wifi". There's usually a paid wifi option available too, which should give us all a sense of how easily the "free wifi" button could disappear.

6. trip1ex macrumors 68000

well you won't future proof it. next year there will very likely be a significant update to the Touch given this year's Touch wasn't updated.

I would get a cheap one now and then splurge on next year's model. But hey I understand that 8gb is pretty darn small. Maybe that won't work for a year.

7. mattg3 thread starter macrumors 6502

Actually Im going to wait for the updated 5g and if it has to be a year then I will surely have cash to pick up a 64G.

8. iDave macrumors 6502a

That's what I always say to this kind of question. No matter what you get today, next year's tech will be better and will likely outweigh the "future proofing" you attempt to do now.

For that reason, I rarely buy the top tier Mac or iPod. I'd rather save my money and trade up a little sooner.

9. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

perhaps you could get a used one to hold you off? A friend of mine got a 32gb iPod touch 3gen running IOS5 for 80$! It is not exactly what you wanted but it would be nice :D

10. Jaben3421 macrumors regular

If I had $400 I'd buy a 64GB iPod Touch, white of course. :D Though, if you can, like others have mentioned, buy a cheap 3rd generation & hold off 'till next year. Of course if you have $800, buy both! :D (But who has that kind of money?)

11. Pete the Geek macrumors regular

I've had my 64GB iPod Touch for almost a year now and I'm very happy with it. I like not having to worry about running out of room.

For travel I have hundreds of video podcasts to watch and a dozen playlists. Part of my job involves testing apps, so I have a lot of them. Some statistics: 229 videos using 18.6GB, 725 songs using 8.9 GB, 146 apps, 23.5GB still free.

12. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

That's certainly one way to look at it.

I prefer to gauge the gadget landscape and strategically decide when to buy "top tier". Having examined Apple's mode of operation, I concluded that when the iPod Touch 4G was released last year, that it was going to be the last. (I understand that I'm in the minority with that opinion) I splurged on a 64GB model and have been thoroughly enjoying it since.

If I happen to be wrong, then I'll have had 2 full years of enjoyment... certainly worth the extra $200 to have 8x the storage capacity. If I'm correct, then I've got a device that will last for a good long time.

13. Invincibilizer macrumors 6502a

Invincibilizer

You would be paying hundreds of dollars more for storage you won't use.

14. Fresh Tendrils macrumors regular

Is this a serious comment? 64Gb is very little storage. And considering the OP will probably want to use the iPod for the next 3 or 4 years, I would suggest that they would be silly to get anything smaller. A lot of apps are now 600MB+ in size, and the number is growing. Add a dozen or two of them, and you've already used up 10 - 20 GB. Then add music, photos, documents, and other smaller size apps, and it's full. You'd be lucky if you had enough room left over to film or watch a couple of short movie clips.

15. rKunda macrumors 65816

rKunda

Why isn't that a serious comment? The guy asked for downsides. I wouldn't use 64gb on an iPod, so that's a real concern. Some people would use that, but if you won't use it, it's something to consider.

16. Invincibilizer macrumors 6502a

Invincibilizer

Is that a serious response?

Almost everyone I know has 8GB ipod touches or 16GB iPhones. A few people I know have 32 GB ipod touches. No one that I know has a 64GB device.

I don't know what universe you are in but 64GB is massive storage and when you consider the fact that some people don't watch movies on small screens, 64GB is a waste of space, 32GB still provides extra legroom, and 8GB is manageable.

70 apps 100 photos 150 songs
    All of this takes up 4GB of space for me

17. thunderboltmac macrumors member

thunderboltmac

there are almost no downside

well if u need the storage then buy it...i have one too but i have only used 20 gb of it.

THE ONLY DOWNSIDE: THE PRICE!!!

18. Fresh Tendrils, Oct 25, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2011

Fresh Tendrils macrumors regular

I'm sorry if my response sounded a bit snarky, I really wasn't trying to be, I was just pointing out that 64GB doesn't go very far. As for what universe I'm in, I'm in this universe, where the average iTunes library size has been reported as over 7,000 songs. Granted that stats probably skewed by people with very large library's, but I would still suggest that your 150 song library is much smaller than the average. If you can get by with an 8GB that's fine, but I'm just trying to point out to the OP that if they go for a smaller capacity they will probably regret it in a year. I know several people that have said like you when buying an iOS device that they would just be paying for storage they won't use, and then they end up having to buy another device a year and a half later because the last one is full.

Also, you might want to re-read the OP's initial comment where they stated
    "Thinking largest size is way to go to future proof Ipod Touch with new apps coming out each day"

Lastly, the OP never suggested they wouldn't fill it up. They asked if the size would slow it down or make things hard to find [which it doesn't in my experience], so suggesting that they would just be wasting money on capacity doesn't really answer what he was asking.

19. kaydot macrumors regular

I have used 90% of my 64gig for music. So I can speak to only Music usage. It is somewhere between 700-800 albums. Quite a few of them are dance compilations and the like so the "Artist" list is a bit messy. However, I quickly adjusted to scrolling through a long list of obscure/unknown artists.

It *can* be daunting on selecting a particular album (and staying away from music at the top of your list). However, the machine is speedy enough that you can browse the the album list at lightning speed. I also make pretty frequent use of Genius, Genius mixes, and playlists. So there are lots of navigation options.

Lastly, iOS does have a "search" feature, that will search your indexed iPod for whatever you type in. I've used this occasionally to check if I have a particular song and play it without having to know the artists or album it's on.

20. iDave macrumors 6502a

I find it relatively easy to keep a small portion of my library on my iPod, then reload from time to time. It's kinda nice that way, just as an example, I'll focus on a dozen or so albums for a month and then a dozen others the next month. I've never really seen much point in having the bulk of my library of music or videos with me. Perhaps when I retire, I'll take a six month trip and think differently. :)

21. Fresh Tendrils macrumors regular

I actually agree with you on this. I don't personally feel the need to have my whole collection on my ipod. I just have a 4*/5* playlist synced, and have it set to make 128AAC from the ALAC files on my computer. When they come out with bigger capacities in a couple years, I'll probably sync everything, but until then you have to manage your data allocation. That's why I really think 64GB is the way to go for someone who wants the iPod to be sufficient for the next few years. EA and Gameloft often sell their 500MB+ games for a buck, so you can easily half fill an 8GB with just 1 afternoon of shopping during one of these sales, and for less than about $15.

22. Invincibilizer macrumors 6502a

Invincibilizer

My apologies, my 8GB ipod touch has adequate space for me, 64GB to me just seems like a rip off. It is at the pricepoint of a laptop....

Anyways Apple decreased the price of the 8GB, but 32,64 GB models stayed at same price point, people might as well take advantage of this and sell it to get a possible later model(bigger capacity) next year.

23. iEvolution macrumors 65816

Its better to get too much capacity than not enough.

I know most don't have much problems with the 8GB and 32GB of space but SOME of us like to have as much of our library with us at all times. Some days I'm pretty picky with my music and its always nice to be able to pull it up instead of hoping that it got synced today.

iPod Touch (with iOS 4 anyway) tends to lag when the music library gets large but its not a show stopper. Also find that using the touch as a music player is cumbersome. I rate my songs and the touch is a real pain to rate songs since its not on the now playing screen. Have to: turn it on, unlock it, double-tap the album, rate then double-tap back. Not sure if iOS 5 has added any shortcuts for this, but it would be nice to have the ratings right on the now playing screen.

Still use my Classic as my music player and use the touch to watch videos during break at work.

24. Fresh Tendrils macrumors regular

That's cool, apology accepted. Were all just trying to help. I just think when you look at the prices, people [if they can afford it] are better off going for the largest capacity. The 32GB is US$300 and the 64GB is US$400. So for a third of the price extra your getting double the capacity. From personal experience, I just think that going for the bigger capacity is the best deal if you want to use the device for a few years.

Several years ago I bought a low end ibook because I thought the HD would be big enough, and I thought the larger HD wasn't worth the extra money. But within a year the computer was full, and I was regretting not getting the larger one. As files get larger, and people's media collections grow the need for more capacity increases exponentially. Only a little over 10 years ago I bought my first computer with a massive 13GB HD :D Now I've got a 1TB iMac, and considering whether I need to buy a 2 or 3 TB external to plug into it.

25. Noisemaker Guest

Pardon me for skipping the rest of the comments, but I didn't feel like wading through posts that were nearly as stupid as that episode of Gilligan's Island where there was a robot. I love robots, but the odds of a group of people surviving after being shipwrecked on an island and keeping their clothing perfect at all times is totally unrealistic. Then you add in a robot that doesn't harvest their organs for the mother computer and it makes even less sense. I hate unrealistic TV shows like that. I do love robots though, so I found that episode rather entertaining.

In short, you're fine getting the 64GB, as it's flash memory and access times don't decrease like they would on a traditional hard drive. And if you ever find yourself shipwrecked on an island and encounter a robot, don't try to befriend it, as in a real situation it will probably want to harvest your organs for the mother computer.